AnsweredAssumed Answered

Email Encryption

Question asked by lizbogan on Jul 27, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 by lizbogan

Hi,

I need help with sending encrypted emails from FileMaker.  I'd like to look at two options - sending emails securely with SSL, and encrypting the email contents.
1) When sending email via SMTP in FileMaker, we are warned that “FileMaker cannot perform a certificate check to verify that the server that you specify is the server that replies”.  I don’t know how to gauge this risk.  Can Outlook and Mac Mail perform certificate checks?

2) If my client wants to encrypt the email content with encryption keys, I know FileMaker is going to need help.

- I could send emails via the user’s email client, which presumably will be set up to handle this.  There are minor complications here, with designating the “From” address to be different from the user’s email address.

- I will be backing a PHP website with the database.  The PHP developer can send encrypted emails if I pass him the filename of the encryption key (the keys would be stored on the web server machine).  Is there any way for me to leverage this from within FileMaker?

- I don’t know what’s possible on the IT end.  It’s a small, five person company.  But is it possible IT could set up a web server that would handle the encryption, and that would take the task of encrypting off of FileMaker?

Thank you!

Liz

Outcomes