You didn't mention which version of Server you're running. This issue was way worse in version 13, better in 14, and still better in 15.
Also, your bandwidth up / down isn't the primary concern. It's the latency that gets you. Do you have any ping statistics for the network? Where it is hosted? Open WAN? How far away is the server from the client?
Hi Mike - apologies, it is server 15. It is open WAN - one thing I had thought was perhaps trying a VPN.
Tried in chrome, opera & IE - all same results.
Server is halfway around the world, but I did try it last week when I was in the same state as the server and had the same issue.
Ping is between 90-120ms
I've tried hacking out lots of fields and calc fields to see if that helps, which it didn't.
I think you will want to make sure your layout is using themes and all elements are styled. That should reduce the overhead to draw the layout in html.
Are there a lot of portals on the layout as well? I think those are more expensive in terms of resources for webdirect as well.
That's a lot of latency. Any chance of relocating to a closer server?
Is the server beefy enough for WebDirect?
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.
The layout itself and all the data (including in portals and tabs) loads perfectly fine - it's just when I actually click into the field it takes an age.
The theme is minimalist - when you say "styled" do you mean, I should set elements to be a new style, or that they should all be "default" for speed purposes?
It is fine if they are using the default style, but if there is also local styling applied, you might see a red triangle to indicate that. It is not always a bad thing, but I try to get as much as possible set to a style and save all those into a theme. That reduces the CSS that has to come down the pipe, but may not address your particular issue.
We had a similar problem this week - after a server upgrade to 15 our PC's would beachball on field entry. Those with better spec/bandwidth would recover, the slower ones would not. We eventually tracked it down to our antivirus software (Kaspersky) interacting with the browser. We have amended the Kaspersky settings and all is now fine - across 8 stores across the UK.
We did initially move away from the Classic theme and properly apply Styles and a Theme across all relevant layouts; this did not resolve our issue - but of course is recommended and is beneficial.
I hope that helps.