7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2016 6:12 AM by pennyruddell

FileMaker WebDirect Takes an Age to Enter a Field

shaunm

Having looked around the discussion boards I've tried a few fixes already, but nothing seems to be making any difference. Fairly experience dev here, but this one's got me stumped as I've not had huge dealings with WebD.

Layouts in solution draw fine, tabs & portals load nicely, all calculation and summary fields load nicely on the layout. I am using the minimalist theme, very few conditional formatting calcs & no images etc on the layout.

However, when I click into a field to edit it, it takes 2-4 seconds to physically enter the field. Now, not a huge a mount of time, but hugely annoying and makes the system pretty hard to use. When I open the hosted file in FMP it doesn't have this issue.

There are no on enter, on commit etc script triggers.

File is hosted online on a pretty decent machine with XEON processor and 8gb ram and very decent connection. My connection is 60mbt down 30 up - so I don't think it's the connection.

I am scratching my head over this - no idea why the layouts & record would all load nice and quickly, but accessing the record fields wouldn't.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: FileMaker WebDirect Takes an Age to Enter a Field
          Mike_Mitchell

You didn't mention which version of Server you're running. This issue was way worse in version 13, better in 14, and still better in 15.

Also, your bandwidth up / down isn't the primary concern. It's the latency that gets you. Do you have any ping statistics for the network? Where it is hosted? Open WAN? How far away is the server from the client?

• 2. Re: FileMaker WebDirect Takes an Age to Enter a Field
            shaunm

Hi Mike - apologies, it is server 15. It is open WAN - one thing I had thought was perhaps trying a VPN.

Tried in chrome, opera & IE - all same results.

Server is halfway around the world, but I did try it last week when I was in the same state as the server and had the same issue.

Ping is between 90-120ms

I've tried hacking out lots of fields and calc fields to see if that helps, which it didn't.

Thanks

Shaun

• 3. Re: FileMaker WebDirect Takes an Age to Enter a Field
              Mike Duncan

I think you will want to make sure your layout is using themes and all elements are styled. That should reduce the overhead to draw the layout in html.

Are there a lot of portals on the layout as well? I think those are more expensive in terms of resources for webdirect as well.

I know that for fields, an actual form element isn't drawn until you click into the div that contains it, and that helps with performance but is probably what you're seeing...the time that the javascript takes to fire to populate the div with an input type. I think if you can reduce the overall technical debt on the page (themes, reduce portals, etc) that should help.

• 4. Re: FileMaker WebDirect Takes an Age to Enter a Field
                Mike_Mitchell

That's a lot of latency. Any chance of relocating to a closer server?

Is the server beefy enough for WebDirect?

• 5. Re: FileMaker WebDirect Takes an Age to Enter a Field
                  shaunm

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

The layout itself and all the data (including in portals and tabs) loads perfectly fine - it's just when I actually click into the field it takes an age.

The theme is minimalist - when you say "styled" do you mean, I should set elements to be a new style, or that they should all be "default" for speed purposes?

Shaun

• 6. Re: FileMaker WebDirect Takes an Age to Enter a Field
                    Mike Duncan

It is fine if they are using the default style, but if there is also local styling applied, you might see a red triangle to indicate that. It is not always a bad thing, but I try to get as much as possible set to a style and save all those into a theme. That reduces the CSS that has to come down the pipe, but may not address your particular issue.

• 7. Re: FileMaker WebDirect Takes an Age to Enter a Field
                      pennyruddell

We had a similar problem this week - after a server upgrade to 15 our PC's would beachball on field entry.  Those with better spec/bandwidth would recover, the slower ones would not.  We eventually tracked it down to our antivirus software (Kaspersky) interacting with the browser.  We have amended the Kaspersky settings and all is now fine - across 8 stores across the UK.

We did initially move away from the Classic theme and properly apply Styles and a Theme across all relevant layouts; this did not resolve our issue - but of course is recommended and is beneficial.

I hope that helps. 

Penny