4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2016 10:22 PM by Vaughan

Why can't I run FMGO on Windows 10?

jgalt

iOS developers can add a single line of code to their apps that will allow them to run on Windows 10 desktop.

I just tried to run FMGO on Windows 10 and it does not work. Considering how messed up FileMaker Pro runs on Windows (having just released yet another version of FMP without fixed the multiple windows problem on Windows) it seems like the very least the fine folks at FileMaker, Inc. could do is add this simple line of code so my clients can run my solutions on Windows 10 while we wait another year to see if they fix these issues in FMP 16.

More information: Run Your Favorite iOS Apps to Run on Windows 10?

• 1. Re: Why can't I run FMGO on Windows 10?
          planteg

Excerpt from that page:

Islandwood is a bit more complex. It’s effectively an entirely new suite of development tools, libraries, and toolchains that allows developers to buildWindows 10 apps with Objective-C, and export existing Xcode projects into Visual Studio. Right now, it’s exclusively Objective-C, but Microsoft is working on a hotly-anticipated Swift compiler.

Do you have the source code for FMGO n order to recompile it ? If not, how can you run FMGO on Windows 10 ?

I wouldn't bet a lot of money on that tool to run iOS apps (almost) as is on Windows 10.

And how can you expect FileMaker inc. to make the port to Windows 10 ?

• 2. Re: Why can't I run FMGO on Windows 10?
            jgalt

I read that any iOS app could run on windows 10 if the developer added a single line of code to their iOS app. Is this not the case? If it is, you would think that it would be in FileMaker, Inc.'s best interest considering their new pricing model is all based on user connections.

Or they could just fix how badly FileMaker runs on Windows but after the last update I have lost all hope for any meaningful updates. FileMaker has glommed onto the annual licensing model which seems to make developers lazy and less innovative.

• 3. Re: Why can't I run FMGO on Windows 10?
              MarcDolley

Why would it be in FileMakers' interests? It would fall into the category of a thin client, which people have been asking for for years, but I can't see any benefit to FileMaker. The new pricing model in not all based on user connections. You can still buy individual copies of FMP as well as the legacy licensing options, although they'd prefer you didn't buy those.

In what way does FileMaker run badly on Windows? I've been a developer for over 20 years and have always developed on Windows. I don't have a problem with the way it runs. Please enlighten me so I know what I've been missing out on.

How does a licensing model "make developers lazy and less innovative"? I just don't see the connection between the two. If anything, I've found the opposite to be true. When each new version is released, I know my annual license clients will automatically receive it and I can discuss implementing new features with them.

Marc

• 4. Re: Why can't I run FMGO on Windows 10?
                Vaughan

jgalt wrote:

I read that any iOS app could run on windows 10 if the developer added a single line of code to their iOS app.

The article is about *porting* applications not running them. That is, get the source code and re-complie for another platform.

Simple porting only ever works if the code uses common code, which usually means only using features in common to both platforms.

On a Windows desktop, what is going to handle calls to the GPS? How are features that are triggered by, say, rotation or movement going to be handled?

I'm sceptical about anything more complex than "hello world."