6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 5:37 AM by rrrichie

using fotos: is FM the right platform?

diederiks

hi all,

im trying to figure out if filemaker would be the right platform for and app i need:

this is the situation:

i am a garden designer and i make tons of pics. mostly plants. i need a way to take pics and add extra info directly on my phone

(I' ve tried Evernote but that doest work for this)

what I am looking for:

on my iphone i take a pic.

In an app on the iphone i can add location, and multiple plantnames from a list

and add memo, (and possibly some more tags)

Then when i sync my phone the new pics in this app are synced with the database on my macbook.

(no need to do this i a cloud or so)

then in the DB I want to be able to make queries based on f.i. plant names, locations date etc.

and want to be able use (one pic at a time) to drag it into for instance Excel.

So here are  my questions

question 1:  is it possible in FM Go to make an app that can access and import the photos from the iPhone?

question 2: can FM handle tables with large amounts (like 10.000) of fotos? or will it get really slow from using lots of pics?

not sure how this works but in order to enhance performance the DB could work with low resolution pics for reports and lists etc

untill you actually access a pic.

thanks ahead.

greetings,

diederik

• 1. Re: using fotos: is FM the right platform?
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, Diederik. Welcome to the community.

There's good news and bad news. FileMaker is very well suited to accomplish the tasks you laid out. Inserting photographs into a database, recording information, and capturing GPS coordinates are all native functions. (I built an application for a local nonprofit that does exactly those tasks.) Exporting data to Excel is also built into the product.

The bad news is, you're going to have to jump through some hoops and learn some things to make it work. Storing large numbers of images inside a database causes some issues (this is why FileMaker provides for so-called external container storage, where the assets are stored outside the database and linked from the appropriate records). If you want to sync the local data back to the copy on your computer, then you'll need to implement either a syncing solution (there are several commercial products that can help with that), or just manually import the records (which is perfectly workable, although it can be time-consuming). What you want to do is definitely possible, but I would caution you that it's going to take some tuning of the database and you'll probably not want to keep 10,000 photos on your iPhone.

If this is your first FileMaker project, you may want to locate a consultant in your area who can either advise you or who you can hire to build the app for you.

Hope that helps.

Mike

• 2. Re: using fotos: is FM the right platform?
            wimdecorte

diederiks wrote:

So here are my questions

question 1: is it possible in FM Go to make an app that can access and import the photos from the iPhone?

question 2: can FM handle tables with large amounts (like 10.000) of fotos? or will it get really slow from using lots of pics?

#1: yes.

#2: yes.  But obviously you need to be careful in how you craft it and deploy it.  I would strongly suggest using FileMaker Server on the backend and its Remote Container function.

Would you expect to have all 10,000 pictures available on your phone at all times?  Even when you have no wifi or LTE/4G connection?

• 3. Re: using fotos: is FM the right platform?
              rrrichie

With FileMaker Go you could even do it on the phone, but you would need an iPhone with a lot of memory or low res pictures.

FileMaker has some standard "starter" solutions and the Inventory or Content Management one would already suit your needs.  Just install FileMaker Go on your iPhone and you're ready to go...

Like Wim says, large amount of pictures, server would be better with external storage, but an iPhone 64GB can get you quite far as well :-)

• 4. Re: using fotos: is FM the right platform?
                diederiks

hi all thanks for quick reply!

Just to clarify, i dont want to keep the pics on my phone.

the pics will be on my mac. Everytime i sync the pics will be synced with the database.

so the performance question (nr 2) was for the DB on mac.

the iphone foto folder i just clear every once in awhile.

I have a good basic knowledge of Access DB's and have build a few years ago (in my pre mac time )

but yes, for this i will need someone to build it.

I can make queries etc but it this case it comes down to performance and of course the FM go app.

greetings diederik

• 5. Re: using fotos: is FM the right platform?
                  diederiks

o now i understand the confusing part in my question

maybe the word sync wasnt the right word.

its just uploading to the dB

greetings

diederik

• 6. Re: using fotos: is FM the right platform?
                    rrrichie

Since you have accessed in the past, I would suggest hiring someone to help or do the basic setup.  Afterwards you could do the fine tuning or get some to do tweaks.

Point is once you "get" filemaker you'll be able to do the simple stuff easily and customize the app exactly to your needs

If your mac is accessible from outside (wan). Then you could setup a "server" with FMP advanced and FM Go on the  iPhone

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 28 jul. 2016 om 15:31 heeft diederiks <noreply@filemaker.com> het volgende geschreven:

using fotos: is FM the right platform?

reply from diederiks in Discussions - View the full discussion

o now i understand the confusing part in my question

maybe the word sync wasnt the right word.

its just uploading to the dB

greetings

diederik

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community

Start a new discussion in Discussions by email or at FileMaker Community

Following using fotos: is FM the right platform? in these streams: Inbox

Manage your email preferences

FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 • Las Vegas, Nevada • July 18-21 • www.filemaker.com/devcon