1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 6:26 AM by bigtom

Server File Recovery

rkutcher

I have Filemaker Server running on a Mac mini.  I had a DB deployed on Server and wanted to do some work on the Schema.  I closed the DB and then Removed it, thinking it would somehow be returned to the Mac-mini.  Not so.  I can't find the file, although I can see in the Server Log where I removed the file and that it was placed in a ".........../Removed/" location.

Is there a way to recover the DB? Then if I can recover it how do I get it back onto the Mac mini so I can work on it locally rather than remotely.

Much thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Server File Recovery
          bigtom

You should be able to to find the file at /Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Removed_by_FMS/Removed/. If it is not there and you cannot find the file name with a search on the system, it might be gone. Next best thing would be a backup.

You should be using the Admin console to close the file and then download a copy to your local machine through the browser.

Then if I can recover it how do I get it back onto the Mac mini so I can work on it locally rather than remotely.

So is the Mac mini a remote server or your local machine????

• 2. Re: Server File Recovery
            rkutcher

The mac mini is my own machine that I have at my home and use it exclusively for the Filemaker Server.

The   /Library/Filemaker Server/Data..../Removed/  file.   Do I access that thru the Admin console,  the Mac mini, somewhere else?

• 3. Re: Server File Recovery
              bigtom

You would access the file path through the Finder on the MacMini. You will want to put it back into /Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Databases so it will be visible in the admin console again.

You could also search the machine for the file name or "Removed" and find the folder that way.

• 4. Re: Server File Recovery
                rkutcher

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Server File Recovery
                  RickWhitelaw

Are you running FMP on the same machine?

• 6. Re: Server File Recovery
                    bigtom

Sounds like it. It is a tricky situation if OP if having trouble using OS X Finder to move/copy files to start with.

• 7. Re: Server File Recovery
                      rkutcher

Gentlemen,

Thanks for helping me with this.

I have FMP on the Mac mini that I am running FMS on.  I've searched for the file BigTom suggested and no luck.  I could be doing something wrong but when I type the file name in the Magnifying glass it tells me "No results".

I have a back-up copy that I made March 30th but redoing all the files since then isn't going to be a lot of fun.

My next step might be to contact FMS Support tomorrow and see if they can help me.

• 8. Re: Server File Recovery
                        CarlSchwarz

I would also recommend a FileMaker consultant in your area if it's valuable enough to you.  Someone who knows their way around FileMaker could probably help you out very quickly.

• 9. Re: Server File Recovery
                          Vaughan

rkutcher wrote:

I have FMP on the Mac mini that I am running FMS on. ... have a back-up copy that I made March 30th...

Configure FMS to schedule backups every hour, day, week, month or a combination that suits your needs. That's what FMS is for, making backups.

• 10. Re: Server File Recovery
                            bigtom

CarlSchwarz has some great advice. Find someone local to help you or someone who can manage your machine via remote desktop.

FMP and FMS on the same machine is not recommended and is tricky in that you should still only ever connect to the file as Remote if you do this. Local editing of a FMS hosted file is not advised. Why would you ever want to edit the file locally? It should stay on a server to allow for backups.

Did you find the file at Macintosh HD/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Removed_by_FMS/Removed/ ?

• 11. Re: Server File Recovery
                              gdurniak

Try hosting a "test" file,  then remove it, and see if you can find that

You should then ( at least ) see a "Removed" Folder on your Hard Drive

greg

> I can't find the file, although I can see in the Server Log where I removed the file and that it was placed in a ".........../Removed/" location

• 12. Re: Server File Recovery
                                rkutcher

It is configured to make back-ups on a regular basis.  Every hour, then day, etc.  And I have a back-up copy from 30 March that's parked on the Desk Top of the Mac-mini.

• 13. Re: Server File Recovery
                                  rkutcher

Yes, I edit the DB's I made remotely but the file I lost was built by another fellow who likes to edit locally.  There's no lag and he can work more quickly.

• 14. Re: Server File Recovery
                                    bigtom

If you have hourly back ups you are good to go, right?

1 2 Previous Next