3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 9:36 AM by philmodjunk

Sorting Getting Stuck FM15

JonathanCoulter

I had this issue (and made a post) way back when FM14 was released.  That issue involved ANY action that made use of a progress bar.  I reverted back to FM13 because it was never resolved.  I had hoped it was resolved in FM15, but apparently not.  Maybe (fingers-crossed) there is a fix or work-around this time or I'm back to FM13 again.

When sorting, the progress only gets so far until Filemaker locks up.  I have not tested with other actions involving a progress bar in FM15.  The table in this case has a little over 3000 records and it varies as to how many it gets through before locking.  The only resolution is to abort the program.  Clicking cancel does not break it free.

The progress doesn't lock up the application ALL the time, but certainly MOST of the time.

Project1.jpg      

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Sorting Getting Stuck FM15
          philmodjunk

A bit more detail about your file, the table, any relationships and the sort criteria specified would be helpful.

Without that info, the possibility that you have a damaged file or damaged index comes to mind, but the lack of info makes that not much more than a guess.

• 2. Re: Sorting Getting Stuck FM15
            JonathanCoulter

I am using a ESS.  That database was created fresh about two weeks ago.  That is the only database in this solution, so there are no relationships.  Back when FM14 came out, I had the same problem when sorting, importing a file into a container, etc.  Anything that resulted in a progress bar dialog box.  At that time, ESS was not involved.  In today's case, this is a totally new project.  There is only one database, one layout, and about 6 fields.

Oh ... as far as Sort criteria ... I am sorting on a single field in ascending order.  Nothing fancy.

• 3. Re: Sorting Getting Stuck FM15
              philmodjunk

Sorry, but that's simply not enough info to go on. The fact that you are using ESS does suggest itself as a cause but then you say:

At that time, ESS was not involved.

So I can only reply that I have used Filemaker for many years and with many versions without encountering a problem matching your statement:

I had the same problem when sorting, importing a file into a container, etc.  Anything that resulted in a progress bar dialog box.

as far as Sort criteria ... I am sorting on a single field in ascending order.  Nothing fancy.

But what type of field? Indexed or unindexed? Text? Number? Date? Unstored calculation? A field from the ESS data source?

And is this in a single file located on your computer or hosted from a server?