11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 6:22 PM by muddylanding

WebDirect Remote Access

kasta

I've enabled WebDirect, uploaded the database to Filemaker Server, and as far as I can see have done everything I'm supposed to do. I can access the database via WebDirect fine through the host computer using the IP address with the /fmi/webd BUT it will not work on any other computer and I can't figure out why. When the URL is entered it tries to load but ultimately says the page can't be displayed and to be make sure the web address is correct.

Any ideas? Hoping it's something simple I am somehow missing... Thanks!

• 1. Re: WebDirect Remote Access
          philipHPG

Are you using a Firewall that needs to be configured to allow access?

• 2. Re: WebDirect Remote Access
            kasta

Do you mean port forwarding or something else?

• 3. Re: WebDirect Remote Access
              kasta

I've never had to handle port forwarding (very new at all this)--would that be difficult to do/how common is that as a problem trying to run WebDirect remotely?

• 4. Re: WebDirect Remote Access
                philipHPG

It depends on your network infrastructure. Some companies/businesses have hardware firewalls that control network traffic and might direct or block internet traffic in or out. Also, some computers have firewall software that direct or block internet traffic in or out.

• 5. Re: WebDirect Remote Access
                  kasta

Just seem to have solved the issue--did indeed had to make sure the ports were allowed access through firewall. Big sigh of relief. Thanks so much for pointing this out!

• 6. Re: WebDirect Remote Access
                    kasta

So actually... it now works on another computer in the same home as the host computer (which it did not originally), but I just had someone test it from a computer about an hour away and they're getting the same issue that I began with in that it will not load. So I guess just allowing the ports didn't solve everything...

• 7. Re: WebDirect Remote Access
                      philipHPG

If it's another computer in the same home you may have configured port forwarding internally (within your home network), but you still may need to configure external port forwarding. The IP Address you see and use internally is not the same as the IP address used externally.

• 8. Re: WebDirect Remote Access
                        philipHPG

Depending on what type of router, firewall, network infrastructure you have, the configuration may be different.

• 9. Re: WebDirect Remote Access
                          kasta

What sort of security risks are associated with this? And presumably I would have to change the host computer's IP to static vs. dynamic?

I really thought it would be a lot easier to get WebDirect up and running right away.

• 10. Re: WebDirect Remote Access
                            philipHPG

It is certainly preferable to use a static IP address, unless you want to continually update your clients of a dynamically assigned IP address (or will configure something that way).

WebDirect has been developed with security in mind. The biggest concern with security in a WebDirect solution is generally the developer not the WebDirect technology. It is only as secure as the solution you develop.

However, you also need to consider the security of your network infrastructure. Using a firewall is highly recommended anytime you are putting anything facing the internet.

I'm not sure I would fault FileMaker and WebDirect for the fact that you have to configure your network infrastructure to allow internet access in. Most routers and firewalls are not configured by default to host a webserver and wisely so as most people are not doing that.

• 11. Re: WebDirect Remote Access
                              muddylanding

It isn't a simple process to allow secure external access to a LAN. Most would use a DMZ as a well tested method  of allowing access from the Internet but setting it up to work securely is really a job for a network professional I think.