4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2016 8:52 AM by TSGal

FMS15 - Clients showing twice in Activity List

markpelleymounter

Ever since we upgraded to a new server and swapped over to FMS15 and FM15 clients, we have experienced a situation where SOME of teh users are showing the the activity tab differently.

The db's are on a data seperation model, so each client should be showing as having two open DBs (the client frontend and the data backend) and this is exactly as it appears on the client activity tab on server admin for the majority of users.

However, a couple of users are showing twice in the list with one open DB against each instance, one instance is the frontend file and the second is the data backend file.

Looking at the attached you can see that their Connect Time is around 1/2 second different.   The clients open the frontend file which has an on open script to fire up the datafile.

Whilst this issue is purely cosmetic as it does not add to the Clients stat on the Databases tab, is there a way to resolve this?

Thank you

Server activity clients.JPG

• 1. Re: FMS15 - Clients showing twice in Activity List
          TSGal

markpelleymounter:

Thank you for your post.

Talking this over with another Support Technician, neither one of us have seen this.  We would like to get a copy/clone of both files so we can try to replicate the issue.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS15 - Clients showing twice in Activity List
            TSGal

markpelleymounter:

I received your files.  Thank you.

As expected, I am unable to reproduce the double listing in the Admin Console, and I realize this occurs for a minority of users.  I'll continue to leave them on a server and try to reproduce the issue.

When this double-listing happens, do you notice if it occurs for the same users?  Or, is it random?  If those affected users close and reopen the files, does it change to a single listing?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FMS15 - Clients showing twice in Activity List
              markpelleymounter

Good morning TSGal, and thanks again for your time on this.  Having done some more troubleshooting and investigating at our end, I believe I have discovered what the issue may be.

We are currently using a HP server, with 2 network connections (one for FileMaker and one for HP's 'ILO' health monintoring system.

However, FileMaker server admin panel is showing 2 IP addresses (the one which ias as should be for FileMaker and the second which is for HP health monitoring).

It appears that the databases, on opening are not necesserily using the main IP address and the second file is using the 2nd IP address and therefore is showing as a sperate connection in the Activity (Clients) tab.

To test, I have just disconnected the second network cable and reopened the file that always gave the issue, and the problem did not happen.

Is there anyway to tell the Server to not use the secondary IP address?

• 4. Re: FMS15 - Clients showing twice in Activity List
                TSGal

markpelleymounter:

I realized that the first time I opened the file, I had to find the HyperData file.  Once the main file was opened, the Relationships graph showed the details.  However, once I went into Manage Data Sources, I noticed the HyperData file was referencing an IP Address.  Is this IP Address the correct IP Address?

Instead, change the reference from the IP Address to the file name.  For example, you currently have:

fmnet://<IP Address>/HyperData

Change this to:

file:HyperData

The references in the HyperData file are fine, but in the other files, there are other fmnet:// references, and at least one file reference shows a different IP Address.  Change all of these to  "file:" references.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.