1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2016 10:14 AM by beverly

Can't keep FM Go connected

philmodjunk

I have frequently used FM Advanced to host a solution that I will eventually deploy as a stand alone solution on iOS devices. When I do so, I then use iPhone and iPad to connect to the file over WiFi so that I can review and test the UI from the device for which I am developing. I had no major problems doing this with FM 13, but with versions 14 and 15, I cannot stay connected. Every few minutes, my FMGo app loses its connection and cannot find the hosted file (or host computer) to connect to. I'm able to limp on with my work by going to Sharing and turning it off and back on.

Am I missing a setting that needs to be changed or is this a bug that I should be reporting? I'm using Windows 10 on my Lap Top as my Peer to Peer host and I do not have any account other than Admin no password at this stage in the development process.

• 1. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
          schamblee

I have a FDS so I use FMS to host my databases.   I have not seen any reports of this type issue with FMP.

Have you tested with different router / switch.  I have seen post where a bad router can cause drop connections.

I would disable the computer from going to sleep.   Make sure the hard drive is not going to sleep and that the network card is  also not going to sleep.

I would test with  Anti-Virus turned off. 

You might need to reinstall bonjour

Troubleshooting FileMaker Network Sharing in FileMaker Pro | FileMaker

• 2. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
            Johan Hedman

I would strongly recommend you to start using FileMaker Server for any kind of connection with iOS or FileMaker WebDirect. FileMaker Server 15 is a very stable and fast server that would enhance your development and also give you backups and lot more

• 3. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
              Benjamin Fehr

I thought I'ld give some advise, until at second glance, I realised who's asking

Am I missing a setting that needs to be changed

I would assume that you already have set IP-Adress for Host-Computer manually (no DHCP). I usually set DHCP Control of the router in a range so it wouldn't interfere with the IP set' to the Host-PC.

Most issues I detect with my customers is when DHCP-Range in Router is not restricted though first serves first: In order of devices get started, router sets DHCP IP-Adresses and so incidentally locks IP to a Printer for example which originally was reserved for Host_PC.

I also have to state that I see great improvements in terms of network reliability with FM 15.

Any Router snafu 'specially with Ethernet switch is also possible.

Additionally, you could set up a VPN-Connection since this is supported with iOS.

Some recommendations for Network scann's are Apps by 10base-t:

http://10base-t.com/macintosh-software/ip-scanner/

(Mac)

„IP Network Scanner“ im App Store

(iOS)

• 4. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
                philmodjunk

Which is exactly how I do it. Except when I am at home working on a personal project where I don't have a machine on which to install server. This isn't a production environment. I'm just trying to use a previously convenient method for evaluating and adjusting my iOS UI design during development.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
                  philmodjunk

I wouldn't expect to see an IP address change while I'm actively using the computer. It might get a different one when I restart but that's not when I'm losing connectivity.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
                    philmodjunk

And I have two suggestions that it might be my router/switch. I can't say this isn't impossible, but this is "home WiFi" and we aren't seeing connectivity issues in the many ways we use it, including Remote Desktop access to my employer or outside clients--certainly nothing that would happen with a frequency of every few minutes as I am observing with FMGO.

Maybe FileMaker Go is less tolerant so maybe that's the issue. My main reason for this post was to see if there are any similar known issues that would explain what I am experiencing.

It appears that there are no such issues so it's time to do some more testing before I possibly make an issue report.

"I thought I'ld give some advise, until at second glance, I realised who's asking"

That's very flattering but there's a lot that I don't know about networks, so please don't assume an expertise that I don't actually have.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
                      bigtom

Are your iOS devices going to sleep? I have had that be an issue with FMGo15 when connected to FMS. I have to trash the FMGo app and relaunch as FMGo gets locked up. happens on multiple devices and multiple servers.  I can only assume this might be more difficult with P2P. Not the exact same problem but maybe a direction.

Cheap cloud servers can be useful in your case. Have you looked into them?

I have not heard of anyone having this issue before.

Does the privilege set have a disconnect time set?

• 8. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
                        bigtom

When I ran in P2P I had issues when the HD on the host would sleep for any reason. Again just throwing out some ideas.

• 9. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
                          Benjamin Fehr

Me and my customers go with FMP13 OR FMP15. We skipped FMP14 due to some unresolved bugs.

With Mac, I think starting with Mavericks, this Standby/save Energy options with "wake up HD" when network active does not behave as expected.

2 Customers with "drop connections" as you described could be narrowed down to a cheap no-name router by our national internet provider "Swisscom". Switching them with a ZYXEL, Netgear or AVM Fritz!Box with fast "ac" WLAN did the job.

AVM Fritz!Box is my best recommendation for Router. Don't know how they do in the US.

I use FileMaker AppMaker for all iOS-Devices. With LAN-only, no IP need to be embedded with AppMaker, with WAN application, WAN-IP OR DynDNS is embedded in AppMaker where it also works on LAN.

Only 1, - latest FMGo version, on the device.

One customers setup is FMPro 15 as Host at 1 location and iPads with FMGo 15 at 4 different locations. Works fast and reliable.

With FMGo 15, leaving WLAN-range to loose connection and prompting error-message, the "try to reconnect" function works very well when back in WLAN-range. 

Strange that this does not occur with FMP13.

Since we're running out of ideas, re-installing FMP14/15 AND FMGo15 would be worth a (desperate) try.

Out of curiosity: What Router/Switch is in use?

• 10. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
                            philmodjunk

<<Cheap cloud servers can be useful in your case. Have you looked into them?

That seems like massive overkill when all I'm trying to do is doublecheck to make sure my layout changes display and function correctly on the iOS sevice.  These are for stand alone iOS only solutions for my own use and testing.

<<Does the privilege set have a disconnect time set?

To repeat from my original post, the files only have the default "admin/no password" specified. Hadn't yet added security.

<<Out of curiosity: What Router/Switch is in use?

I'm not at home right now so I will have to check that later.

My my current plan is to host from my employer supplied w7 laptop to see if that makes a difference. Next test would be to try a different iOS device as the client.

Thanks to all for confirming that this isn't a reported issue.

• 11. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
                              ron.harris

I read that FMGO doesn't support IPv6 file references/addresses, make sure your home router is set to IPv4. 

Ron Harris

• 12. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
                                greatgrey

If it is a hardware problem. I have seen the plugs on a cable not work reliably with a jack and changing brand or batch cures the problem. sometimes even just swapping ends works.

• 13. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
                                  beverly

ron, can you be more specific (chapter and verse) where you saw this? It's important info to this topic!! versions(s), too?

Thank you,

beverly

• 14. Re: Can't keep FM Go connected
                                    philmodjunk

greatgrey wrote:

If it is a hardware problem. I have seen the plugs on a cable not work reliably with a jack and changing brand or batch cures the problem. sometimes even just swapping ends works.

But I'm using WiFi for both host and client so unless you are referring to the incoming cable--don't see how that would affect this, there's no cable involved.

iP4 vs iP6? that's definitely not something I've considered, but please remember that I didn't have this issue when using fmp13 as the host, only with fmp14 and fmp15. But this may coincide with when I upgraded the host machine from W7 to w10 so retesting this with an FMP 13 host might also reduce the number of variables.

1 2 Previous Next