8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2016 3:03 PM by dburnham

Include Edit Record Toolbar  (new feature in FileMaker 15)

dburnham

I have already determined that the only way to solve my problem is to create a custom menu with certain menu commands deleted, but I am curious to know if others agree with me about the way this new feature performs in FileMaker 15.

I have a solution being used in iOS where the users are not allowed to view any record except their own.  I find that when you tap into any field and the keyboard appears, even if you have explicitly opened the file with a script step that Hides Toolbars, there is still the Edit Record ToolBar that appears and it includes the ability (in the center of the toolbar) to Show All, Show Omitted, Omit Records, etc.   On the right side of the same toolbar, there is the ability to add, delete, and duplicate records.

If you use the new feature in FileMaker 15 which, when leaving unchecked the new option "include edit record toolbar", in fact the edit toolbar still appears.  The only apparent differences when leaving this option unchecked are:

• Show All, Show Omitted, and Omit Records are visible, but dimmed.
      • The user can see the total number of records, even though they cannot navigate to others.
      • The user cannot delete or duplicate records, but they can still add new ones.

I know that I can create custom menus to suppress the unwanted options, but it seems to me that the behavior obtained with this script step optional checkbox is not giving the expected result.  I also realize that the ability to tab forward and backward from one field to another is desirable but when you specify that the toolbar should be hidden, it should be hidden ---- and instead, the TAB key on the keyboard should perform the forward/next behavior the way it does on a computer keyboard.

I'd rather not make custom menus unless it is absolutely necessary, and the 'halfway' behavior of this new script step option dictates making custom menus if users are to be limited to viewing only a particular record.

Screen Shot 2.png

Am I mistaken?

• 1. Re: Include Edit Record Toolbar  (new feature in FileMaker 15)
          TSGal

dburnham:

Thank you for your post.

If you don't select "Include Edit Record Toolbar", then you can't include the Toolbar to be hidden.  With it unchecked, you will only hide the Toolbar at the bottom of the display.  Therefore, select "Include Edit Record Toolbar" so when hidden, you will not get the toolbar when editing records.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Include Edit Record Toolbar  (new feature in FileMaker 15)
            dburnham

I understand what you have given me in this response, but I think you may have missed the point I was making, which is that even when the toolbar is hidden, it still presents the little "circle" icon in the center of the white space above the keyboard which reveal to the user the number of records in the system.

It's true that none of the commands that appear when you tap the circle are operational, they appear as dimmed,  But the user is exposed to the number of records in the database, which is (in the instance I was describing) none of their business.   Also, the user is able to add new records, which may not be allowed.   This is why I stated that Custom Menus must be used to defeat these things.

Since none of the commands are operational when that circle is tapped, there seems to me to be no reason to show that pop-up thing at all.   It should not be operational when Include Edit Record Toolbar" is unchecked, for the purpose of hiding it.   In other words, checking that option doesn't prevent editing the record, it only dims some of the menu commands.  It still allows entering a bar code or tabbing from a field to next or previous.    I think that circle icon should be hidden when Include Edit Record Toolbar is not checked and Add Record should not be allowed.

Allow Formatting Bar can be turned off, but then the keyboard doesn't pop up at all when you tap into a field.

Please reconsider.

• 3. Re: Include Edit Record Toolbar  (new feature in FileMaker 15)
              TSGal

dburnham:

When you Hide the Toolbar, the options at the bottom of the display are removed.  If you leave "Include Edit Record Toolbar" unchecked, then it will remain visible.  If you want the Edit Record Toolbar also hidden, then you will need to include it to be hidden.  The two screen shots below are both set to Hide Toolbar and a field being edited.  The first screen shot has "Include Edit Record Toolbar" unchecked, so it will still be visible when editing.  The second screen shot has "Include Edit Record Toolbar" selected to hide.  Notice, there is no circle or any Toolbar displayed.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

Hide Toolbar - Include Edit Record Toolbar unchecked

IMG_0248.PNG

Hide Toolbar - Include Edit Record Toolbar checked

IMG_0249.PNG

• 4. Re: Include Edit Record Toolbar  (new feature in FileMaker 15)
                dburnham

I appreciate the screen shots.  I think I have not been able to achieve the second one because I have been leaving the option "unchecked".   Unless you have it backwards in your description of the screen shots, it seems very counter-intuitive to have it be hidden when you choose "include" and have it appear when you do not choose "include".

Am I mistaken?    I'll try this again later today when I have the app open for further work.  Right now I am busy on something else. 

thanks for the replies.

• 5. Re: Include Edit Record Toolbar  (new feature in FileMaker 15)
                  TSGal

dburnham:

I understand the confusion.

Some users want to have the Toolbar hidden from the main screen, but have the Toolbar displayed when editing a record.  This is accomplished by hiding the toolbar but not including the edit toolbar to be hidden (unchecked).  When you want both the Toolbar hidden from the main screen and when editing, hide the Toolbar and include the Edit Record Toolbar option (checked) to be hidden.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Include Edit Record Toolbar  (new feature in FileMaker 15)
                    dburnham

We're still not communicating.  I tried it both ways, and I am still not getting the desired result.

I took me some time to make these screen shots for you because I had to capture them on my iPad and then edit them in Photoshop on my computer to make sure I am making myself clear.

In screen shot #1, you can see that the "Include Edit Record Toolbar" is checked.  This allows the pop-up item that you see in the center of the keyboard to appear, which is what I would expect when I opt for something to be "included".   The three commands for Show All, Show Omitted, and Omit Record are visible and active.

The "toolbar" is, as expected hidden.  But I am not referring to the "toolbar"  I am referring only to the "Edit Record Toolbar"

screen-shot-1.png

In this second screen shot, you can see that the checkbox for "Include Edit Record Toolbar" is NOT checked.  But the behavior of the toolbar pop-up thing is the same.  All three commands are still visible and active.

screen-shot-2.png

Here, in a third screen shot, you can see the behavior on a different layout, where there exists only 1 record.

In this case, the menu commands for Show All, Show Omitted, and Omit Records are dimmed, but still visible.

This screen shot does not show the right side of the tool bar where the plus and minus symbol for adding and deleting a record are hidden, as I expect them to be.  I don't want the user to be able to create or delete records ... the reason those buttons are hidden is because this layout is controlled by a privilege set that doesn't allow creation or deletion of any records in this table, which is supposed to have only 1 record, ever.

But the point I am trying to make, so far unsuccessfully, is that I don't want the user to be able to make this thing pop up at all.  Even if the commands are dimmed, they still have no business seeing how many records exist in the file.

What I am trying to do is to allow the user to use the keyboard for typing, but only that.  In one of the screen shots you showed me, I can see the desired result, but I cannot make it behave that way. 

Your illustration says that the checkbox should be checked to achieve that which I think is a bit counter-intuitive to have something be hidden when you use the checkbox for "include"  - unless the meaning is that hiding it is included in the hiding of the parent script step.  If so, I can adjust and learn it, but it's really ambiguous.

screen-shot-3.png

• 7. Re: Include Edit Record Toolbar  (new feature in FileMaker 15)
                      TSGal

dburnham:

I have sent a sample file to our Technical Support liaison.  You should receive an email from him shortly.  If you do not receive the file within 60 minutes, please let me know, and I'll make sure the file is sent to you immediately.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Include Edit Record Toolbar  (new feature in FileMaker 15)
                        dburnham

After sending my last email with the screen shots, I determined that the reason the menu commands are active, not dimmed, in my first 2 screen shots is because I had installed the Standard FileMaker Menus when changing layouts and the logged in user is me.

But my primary question still remains, which is that I want to be able to allow the user to type on the keyboard, but not allow them to see any of the objects in that white "edit record toolbar".

In other words, I want that toolbar to go away, just like in the screen shot that you showed me.

Hope that clarifies a bit and sorry for any confusion I caused with mention of the dimmed/active commands.  Its the behavior of the toolbar itself that I'm concerned with.