4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2016 11:04 AM by TonyDehnke

Report of data from multiple tables

TonyDehnke

So I'm just starting to learn FM and I'm using an idea I have for an app to learn things.

Basically the app has a number of tables for information on various parts of a car, with some tables having more detail.  It uses text fields, numbers, containers and lists etc.

My first goal is to be able to collect that data that the user inputs and create a PDF report of that data.

I'm using multiple tables for different parts, Technician info, Year/MakeModel, Radio etc etc.

I get how to make a report with data from the one table, but what is an efficient way to have it layout the data from each table in the same report PDF?  Once I have that the next step would be to have it skip fields that are empty when generating the report.

Any advice would be great!  Thanks !

• 1. Re: Report of data from multiple tables
          bigtom

You can add fields from related tables to your report. This depends on how your relationships are setup but it is useful.

Just try adding fields from other tables and see where that takes you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Report of data from multiple tables
            Johan Hedman

You can always use the script step Save Records as PDF function and use Append to existing PDF. You can read more about that function here:

FileMaker Pro 15 Help 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Report of data from multiple tables
              Vaughan

TonyDehnke wrote:

So I'm just starting to learn FM and I'm using an idea I have for an app to learn things.

Basically the app has a number of tables for information on various parts of a car, with some tables having more detail. It uses text fields, numbers, containers and lists etc.

You may have too many tables. Things like radio, wheels, seats are all PARTS and differ only in their name or type. They could be categorised into "electrical" or whatever, but they should all be in the same table because they are parts.

You will likely end up with a solution that needs to link parts into assemblies, and the assemblies in turn become parts for other assemblies -- think pistons as part of the engine, gears part of the gearbox, then the gearbox and engine join to become the transaxle which may be a separate part too. So ypou'll likely need a table for Assemblies and another for Parts. This is a recursive structure and it can become complex.

Start simple.

• 4. Re: Report of data from multiple tables
                TonyDehnke

Thanks for the tips guys,  I did not have my relationships setup correctly so once I fixed that I was able to make some progress.  Also for me as this is a simple 1 data set type of layout it was easier to just make a blank layout and add the fields etc I wanted that to start with a "report".

Vaughan, good point, in my case for each part I'm wanting to capture data about each piece.. IE multiple features for the radio, multiple pieces of information about the amplifier, each speaker etc.. so as a learning step I'm going to try it with a few tables we some details n each:

Vehicle Infomation

-Year, Make, Model, Trim, Vin Code, a couple pictures

Radio Info

- Model, Pictures, Output type, output voltage etc

Amplifier Info (may be multiple amps in a vehicle)

- Location, Class, Turn on type, Pictures, # of Channels

Channel Info (of which amp, most will have multiple channels)

- Channel #, Output Voltage, Bandwidth, Clipping point, EQ present, etc

Speaker Information

- Driven by what channel #, speaker size, mount size, mount depth, impedance etc

My next challenge will be to figure out keeping the data per amp, channel and speaker linked to each other and have uses be able to move within that easily - either via tabs and sliders (iPhone app is my first layout).  Still working through the Advanced Training Book as I do this so that should hopefully give me the skill sets to do it