8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 12:28 PM by TSGal

"fmsadmin stop server" works but hangs forever

dobunzli

Hello,

I have a Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 with 16Go RAM (end 2014) running Mac OS X 10.11.6 and Filemaker Server 15.0.1.137.

I have a shell script with those commands (simplified for the purpose of reporting):

fmsadmin close

fmsadmin stop server

Under Filemaker Server 14 this script was working perfectly and exited normally.

Since I upgraded to Filemaker 15, the "fmsadmin stop server" command step seems to do its job but hangs somehow for ever.

I have reproduced those commands in the terminal and the "fmsadmin stop server" command hangs. The terminal prompt doesn't appear even after many hours...

See attached screen pictures

- 1.pdf --> terminal commands and event.log

- 2.pdf --> graphic interface of Admin Console that shows the server is down even if the command is still active

Until I find the solution the command "sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms" seems to work properly and ends/exits after all the processus are closed.

Is there a way to debug this further and discover what is happening during this "hanging" ?

Could it be because ODBC/JDBC is still active ?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: "fmsadmin stop server" works but hangs forever
          TSGal

dobunzli:

Thank you for your post.

There should be no difference between FileMaker Server 14 and FileMaker Server 15 how "fmsadmin close" and "fmsadmin stop server" function.

When FileMaker Server is running, are any programs accessing hosted FileMaker files via ODBC/JDBC?

Did you perform a clean installation of FileMaker Server 15?  Or, did you install using the old FileMaker Server folder?  If you performed an update, consider closing all hosted files, move the Database folder to the Desktop, uninstall FileMaker Server (verifying the FileMaker Server folder has been removed), perform a clean installation of FileMaker Server 15, move the Database folder from the Desktop back to its proper place, and open all files via Admin Console.

Run a Backup schedule to verify the files are being backed up.  Then, create the schedule to run the shell script.  Run the schedule.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: "fmsadmin stop server" works but hangs forever
            dobunzli

Hello,

When FileMaker Server is running, are any programs accessing hosted FileMaker files via ODBC/JDBC?

It could be possible, but then I closed them and had the same problem.

If you performed an update, consider closing all hosted files, move the Database folder to the Desktop, uninstall FileMaker Server (verifying the FileMaker Server folder has been removed), perform a clean installation of FileMaker Server 15, move the Database folder form the Desktop back to its proper place, and open all files via Admin Console.

Ok I did that but without any success.

I also tried by removing RC_Cache_FMS folders and RC_StreamingCache_FMS folders from my databases folder,  keeping only the RC_Data_FMS folder.

By the way, the "Filemaker Server folder" was not removed by the deinstallation software, I had to remove it manually.

Hangs indefinitely even in the absence of any programs using ODBC/JDBC.

The "top" command in the terminal shows a fmsadmin process but with 0 processor use.

If I quit the process and use the command "fmsadmin start server", it restarts without any problems.

What other suggestions do you have ?

• 3. Re: "fmsadmin stop server" works but hangs forever
              TSGal

dobunzli;

Thank you for the additional information.

Although "fmsadmin close" closes all database files, I can't verify they are all closed.  Therefore, in Admin Console, close all database files, and then issue "fmsadmin close".  You'll get the same return as before.

Now, issue the command:    fmsadmin stop server

If this still hangs, then I know the database files are not a factor.  However, if the server stops, turn on one file at a time and run original commands until you find the file.  At that point, run a Recover on that file, host the recovered file, and try again.

Do you have any anti-virus software installed?  If so, temporarily turn it off.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: "fmsadmin stop server" works but hangs forever
                dobunzli

Thanks for your suggestions

1) Admin Console --> close all databases. Looks like they are all closed.

2) Terminal "fmsadmin close" --> error: 10984 (No applicable files for this operation)

3) Terminal "fmsadmin stop server" --> still the same problem, hangs...

Does this mean that my databases are all really correctly closed and there is no problem with them ?

There is no antivirus software, no filevault and no spotlight on my server machine.

Any other ideas ?

• 5. Re: "fmsadmin stop server" works but hangs forever
                  TSGal

dobunzli:

Thank you for testing.  The files close properly so that possibility is eliminated.

Are there any applications running on the server other than FileMaker Server?

Are any schedules running?

Are any FileMaker processes still running in Activity Monitor?

Does the AdminServer close without issue?  That is:    fmsadmin close adminserver

Try force closing the server:    fmsadmin close server -f

Since the database files are closed, consider using instead the command:

sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: "fmsadmin stop server" works but hangs forever
                    dobunzli

Thanks for feedback.

Are there any applications running on the server other than FileMaker Server?

Are any schedules running?

No.

Does the AdminServer close without issue?  That is:    fmsadmin close adminserver

Will try and report back as soon as I am able to test these (probably not before a few days).

Since the database files are closed, consider using instead the command:

sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms

As I have written in my first post, this workaround works well and all the processes are closed without hanging when I am using this command.

Have a nice day.

• 7. Re: "fmsadmin stop server" works but hangs forever
                      dobunzli

Ok I am back

Yes but with no processor use see attached screen

fmsadmin close adminserver -->  error 10904 (No applicable files for this operation)

This is probably because the fmsadmin close command works and the databases are already closed

Did you mean:

fmsadmin stop adminserver --> yes it works OK without hanging !

whereas

fmsadmin stop server --> hangs

You meant probably fmsadmin stop server -f

It is doing exactly the same than the fmsadmin stop server command --> the log says it is stopped, but the command hangs forever in the Terminal and there is a  fmsadmin process with 0% processor usage in activity monitor.

So what are the differences between using fmsadmin stop server and fmsadmin stop adminserver ?

• 8. Re: "fmsadmin stop server" works but hangs forever
                        TSGal

dobunzli:

My apologies for the incorrect commands.

The adminserver allows Admin Console to connect to FileMaker Server.  Stopping adminserver will not stop the database server, while stopping server stops the database server.

Discussing this thread with TSPigeon and another Support Technician, we don't have an idea.  Besides the normal reinstall (which you have already done), TSPigeon suggested checking out the System Information just to verify no Server.app or anything else that seems out of the ordinary.

Did you reinstall using a local administrator user for the computer?

Do you have access to another machine for testing?  If so, install FileMaker Server and see if you are able to stop the server.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.