5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2016 9:50 AM by David Moyer

View information on a layout

russk68

Hi All,

I need to create a layout that just views information.

Example

I have records of classrooms and portal records of the students in each classroom. I now want to create a layout that has a field for the name of each classroom and a field that shows the number of students in each class. I don't want to create records here. I just want to view information. Would this be done with a graph or some type of dashboard?

Any help would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: View information on a layout
          Markus Schneider

Many roads to Rome.. For example:

Create just a new layout.. place the fields (portals) without accessing (inspector)

You could create a global field for the classroom (ID..) and a relationship to the students from the global (You already have a relationship since You got 'portals)

So, one selects the classroom (Popup, valuelist) and gets the students. You could use the classroom TO - or a new table  with one field - the Classroom_ID. In this case, the field for the relationship doesn't need to be global

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: View information on a layout
            keywords

Any layout can be used to view information, so I assume you mean you want to prevent data entry on this layout. This can be achieve in a number of ways—there is always more than one way to achieve a purpose in FileMaker!

1.     Populate the layout with merge variables instead of fields—no interaction is possible with text objects.

2.     Disallow field entry in Browse mode for all fields on the layout (use the filed Entry tab in the Behaviour Inspector)—users will be unable to click inside any fields thus set.

3.     Populate the layout with only calculation fields—even if a user attempted to change a field they would be unable to effect any change.

4.     Use a Custom Menu to prevent creation or deletion of records on the layout—this may be necessary if the layout is based on a data table.

5.     Set up a layout based on a globals table and show only field data tat is referenced from there—this may cover the last issue of record creation/deletion, but would need to be used in conjunction with one of the first there field entry options.

6.     Use account privileges to prevent record creation and deletion as well as data entry for users with restricted privileges—this is a good option if there are multiple users, but you want to be able to make changes but not allow this for others.

That may give you some options to think about for now. What you choose will depend on what you know about who will be accessing the file and how, and their particular proclivities.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: View information on a layout
              David Moyer

Hi,

You'll probably need to add a new field to your Classrooms table - a calculation:  Count(StudentTable::ClassroomKey).

Then, as suggested above, create a new layout based on Classrooms, and add the classroom name and the new calculation to the body of the layout.

Addendum:

Above, StudentTable, is the name of the table occurrence you also use in your portal.  The ClassroomKey is the field in your student table that connects the student record to the classroom record.  It could be another field, but the key is reliably countable.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: View information on a layout
                russk68

I'm starting to understand what I need to do now. I'm sure I'll be working on this for a while and It's nice to know that I'm on the right track now.

Thank you all for the help! It is very much appreciated!

• 5. Re: View information on a layout
                  David Moyer

I forgot to mention that, for my suggestion, you'll need to browse that layout in "View as List" mode.