AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I get my database to check my alphabet checkboxes based on a barcode?

Question asked by sinklerj on Jul 31, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 31, 2016 by sinklerj

I am developing a database in filemaker pro 13 to utilize in my classroom to help with the exorbitant amount of data that I must keep on each child.  I have been able to figure out, on my own, most of the things i want to do, but this.  I am attaching a picture to show you the layout I wish to use to allow me to scan a barcode for a letter and then it would check the box above the correct letter. Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 10.05.48 AM.png

I have figured out how to check a box with a find command when I have all the letters as records. but I have not been able to when each letter is a separate checkbox(its on field).  I can't figure out if it is because it is inside a tab panel or if it my relationships. This script uses the find command, but it wont check the box on the above layout.  I can get it to check a box that is called Reading_Letters::LetterCheckbox on a different layout, but doesn't associate with the checkbox letter above. 

Set Field [ Reading::g_search ]

Set Variable [ $$scanned_Checkbox_Search; Value:Reading::g_search ]

Go to Layout [ “Alphabet” (Reading) ]

Enter Find Mode [ ]

Set Field [ Reading_Letters::id; $$scanned_Checkbox_Search ]

Perform Find [ ]

If [ Get ( FoundCount ) = 0 ]

Beep

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Error"; Message: "That Asset is not currently in your database. Opps. Something bad is happening."; Default Button: “OK”, Commit: “Yes” ]

Close Window [ Current Window ]

Set Field [ Reading::g_search ]

Commit Records/Requests

[ Skip data entry validation; No dialog ]

Refresh Window

[ Flush cached join results ]

Exit Script [ ]

End If

If [ Get ( FoundCount ) = 1 ]

Set Field [ Reading_Letters::LetterCheckbox; "Yes" ]

Commit Records/Requests

[ Skip data entry validation; No dialog ]

Go to Layout [ “LayContacts” (Reading) ]

Go to Object [ Object Name: "Words" ]

Refresh Window

[ Flush cached join results ]

End If

I think I need and If Else statement to evaluate for each letter field, but I don't know how to set it up when each letter is its own field.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jackie

Outcomes