1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 1:21 PM by Mike_Mitchell

"Container fields cannot be exported"

Mike_Mitchell

Good day, all. I've been asked to assist with a solution that is throwing a persistent "Container fields cannot be exported" error when a scripted export is attempted. Upon investigation, I've discovered that the "Export field contents" command in the contextual menu is ghosted:

menu.png

I have seen on previous posts that this error can occur when you don't have access (but I do):

privs.png

There are no Custom Menus in play (I make sure to select the Standard set prior to attempting this).

These containers are being stored externally. Here's a sample of the GetAsText ( ) result (this is FileMaker 12):

path.png

Based on what I know, this should work. The only other thing I've seen on previous posts is the possibility of the objects having been inserted as OLE objects. I don't know the history of this database, but the most recent insertions occurred in May of this year. Not likely they were inserted as OLE.

I'd sure appreciate it if someone can lend a clue ...

• 1. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
          philmodjunk

That's a nasty one.

I've only seen this on windows systems in older versions of FileMaker where the now deprecated "insert object" used object linking and embedding to insert an object into the container field. This creates a situation where you could open the linked file by double clicking the container field but that's all. You could not export the contents. The only option I ever figured out was to open the file by double clicking and then using Save to save a copy.

I would guess that if you then upgraded this file into a newer version, older records would retain this "object link" in the container field with the same or similar behavior,

• 2. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
            Mike_Mitchell

Hm. Double-clicking has no effect.

Any other ideas?

• 3. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
              philmodjunk

What OS? This was a windows only feature--which I would guess is one of two reasons why it was deprecated, the inability to use any kind of batch export to export them would be the second.

You may have to open the file in an older version of windows (I think this still works in 7).

You may need FileMaker 11--in which case you are truely out of luck here unless there's an uncoverted back up, but I think that the file would still open in 12 if I remember correctly.

Also, if this is an embedded object, this is another type of "by reference" storage so you'd need the original file in it's original location and at least one app as the default app installed for that file type in order to open the file.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
                Mike_Mitchell

It's on Windows 7, using FM 12.

Some of the records do have OS paths embedded in them, so I'm thinking this might have been converted up. But the recent ones were, near as I can tell, inserted using the Insert File script step. Shouldn't be an issue, and they're still broke.

The customer claims this feature was working up until they implemented two-factor authentication on the workstations. I don't see how that would have anything to do with it, but is it possible there's a permissions issue with the communication between the clients and server?

• 5. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
                  carlosilvia0

Hi Mike,

I'm testing your case in FM Pro 15 but the "Export Field Contents.." is enabled.

Can you attach a clone db?

• 6. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
                    philmodjunk

Do you have any idea where the files in question are physically located? Maybe they were on a shared volume that is no longer accessible to the user after they changed system security. Later additions might not be located in the same place.

What do you actually see in the container field when you view it in browse mode?

Could you test that claim by temporarily rolling back that security change on a single workstation?

• 7. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
                      Mike_Mitchell

philmodjunk wrote:

Do you have any idea where the files in question are physically located? Maybe they were on a shared volume that is no longer accessible to the user after they changed system security. Later additions might not be located in the same place.

There are a few varieties I can see. Recent ones look like this:

remote:NIM Document_08-06-2014_1.PDF

ZLIB:Secure/E9/AF/BDC3B9DB/F9D00BF1/4953439B/7CD5

Some say the file is missing. They look like this:

file:NIM Document_09-06-2012_1.PDF

filewin://Fmhost12a/nimsnbells/Scanned Documents/NIM Document_09-06-2012_1.PDF

(There are no files at that path.)

And then the really recent ones - the ones that are working - look like this:

remote:01490251.pdf

PDF :Secure/5A/7C/740ECE75/8C51DA44/E7399753/05E0

So the vast majority of them are located in external secure storage.

What do you actually see in the container field when you view it in browse mode?

I don't know what "ZLIB" is, but those appear as PDF icons with the file name attached, just like the ones that work. The ones that don't work just say the file can't be found.

Could you test that claim by temporarily rolling back that security change on a single workstation?

Something about a snowball and Hell ...     

• 8. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
                        ninja

If you put the field larger and interactive on a layout...can you see (read) the pdf?

Asking just to verify that the file itself is whole...wherever it is...

• 9. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
                          carlosilvia0

Hi,

do you have try to transform secure storage to open storage?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
                            Mike_Mitchell

I've downloaded a copy from backup (including the external files). Going to see what I can do with it tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

• 11. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
                              user19752

Re: I don't know what "ZLIB" is

It says the file is compressed in container. But this is not the reason for the issue...

• 12. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
                                taylorsharpe

If it is a Mac, you might want to check the permissions to make sure permissions are fmserver, fmsadmin are read/write and propagate permissions throughout the container folders.  Make sure to do it with the database closed. 

OLE was deprecated in FileMaker 11:  Deprecation of Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) | FileMaker

In such cases I had to roll back to supported versions and do exports and then imports back into FileMaker with normal container storage (not OLE).  That happened to me with a FM 12 version.  I tried converting it to internal storage, but that doesn't work for OLE files.  

• 13. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
                                  taylorsharpe

One more thing, when you roll back to a previous version to export OLE objects, you have to make sure to preserve the folder paths for it to work.

• 14. Re: "Container fields cannot be exported"
                                    Mike_Mitchell

It's not a Mac, and I don't think it's an OLE issue. Recently inserted documents (in version 12, yesterday) display the same behavior. But thanks.

1 2 Previous Next