1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 8:10 PM by StephenWonfor

Check Box Issues

fm_noob

Hello,

I have a very simple flat table (no relationships) with multiple radio buttons and one checkbox set. The field is "Media Type".

Here's the issue...

I originally had a drop-down menu in that field with the following options.

Analog & Digital A/V

Digital Content

No A/V or Digital Content

I changed the drop-down to a checkbox and renamed the options as follow. Users can check one or multiple options.

Analog A/V

Digital

None

When I export the data to an excel sheet, that field is displaying both the old options and the new options.  So for one record with the "None" checkbox selected the exported data field now reads "No A/V/ or Digital Content None".  It should just read "None" since the checkbox options were renamed.  There are only 400 records, but it's a pain to keep editing the excel sheet when I export.

Help?

• 1. Re: Check Box Issues
          carlosilvia0

Hi,

the rename option values don't modify the precedent data that you have save in your database. Only a new record save a new option value. I suggest that you duplicate the check box field, choose a text field, extend the height and view the value saving on each record, Then replace or delete a od value with new value.

For the future I suggest to use a table and relationship the two tables.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Check Box Issues
            fm_noob

Hmm...

If I understand you correctly I need to?

1) Create a new field with similar title with similar check box options

2) Manually re-select the option for each record

3) Delete the old field

Also, I have net worked with relationships because I can't figure out if I need a linking table between tables or if I can connect fields directly between two tables. The tutorials haven't helped : (

Would I set up a table just for the three media options and then make relationship to Media Type field in the first table?  If so, how can they be different for each record in the first table? I am very new to fm.

• 3. Re: Check Box Issues
              carlosilvia0

Hi,

don't create a new field but duplicate the check box options and change the control style in "edit box", extend the heigth of field. In this way you view all value in the field. Remenber that check box view only the values that are in the list. Then you decide if change o clear field values.

• 4. Re: Check Box Issues
                StephenWonfor

Noob

Remember that the checkbox is a mask that overlays the actual data.  Great to control data input BUT the mask has no effect on existing data, except to hide its presence. eg. a Yes/No checkbox changed to a 1/0 checkbox changed to an On/Off checkbox changed to an Up/Down checkbox could well mask a data field that contains Yes¶No¶1¶0¶On¶Off yet appears empty.

Stephen

• 5. Re: Check Box Issues
                  jharding

You just need to clean up your data.

Set the field to be a normal text box.

Show all records.

go to the first record and click in the field in question

Select Replace Field Contents... from the Records menu.

Replace by calculation and use the calc

FilterValues ( table:field; "value1¶Value2¶Value3¶..." )

where table:field is the field in question and the values are those from your checkboxes.

• 6. Re: Check Box Issues
                    fm_noob

StephenWonfor

This is why I come here and unashamedly label myself as noob.

This answer just turned on a lightbulb for me.

• 7. Re: Check Box Issues
                      fm_noob

Thank you jharding

I'm on it!

• 8. Re: Check Box Issues
                        ron.harris

Do you have a value list associated with this field?

Ron Harris

• 9. Re: Check Box Issues
                          fm_noob

Yes.

Originally I had "Value List" selected in the Options menu. But, I "unchecked" that option.

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 2.16.37 PM.png

Now, I am only using the tools in this area to work with the checkbox. I realize it's the same Value List that I am accessing, but I think the two ere confusing me in addition to the data issues I am having.

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 2.17.37 PM.png

• 10. Re: Check Box Issues
                            carlosilvia0

Hi,

can you details the values from  "Media Type" in the second picture?

• 12. Re: Check Box Issues
                              ron.harris

When I export the data to an excel sheet, that

field is displaying both the old options and the new options

.  So for one record with the "None" checkbox selected the exported data field now reads "No A/V/ or Digital Content None".  It should just read "None" since the checkbox options were renamed.  There are only 400 records, but it's a pain to keep editing the excel sheet when I export.

I may be a bit confused on this point.  The record (one record) is displaying both responses in one field as if they have been concatenated?

RH

• 13. Re: Check Box Issues
                                fm_noob

ron.harris

Yes, exactly.

Originally was a drop-down menu of three options. Changed it to a check box with three options.  Renamed the options (although only slightly edited, as they still represent the same three options).  Example: "No Digital or Analog" in the original drop down menu became "None" as a check box option.

When I exported data, the field read "No Digital or Analog None".

• 14. Re: Check Box Issues
                                  carlosilvia0

Thanks.

I suggest to use "Find/Replace". View details in FileMaker Pro 15 Help

find Analog & Digital A/V  > replace Analog A/V

find Digital Content > replace Digital

find No A/V or Digital Content > replace None

I suggest to backup the file and then execute the find/replace.

1 2 Previous Next