ron.harris

Humbled Daily

Discussion created by ron.harris on Aug 4, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 8, 2016 by netjess

Experts, et al,

I have been writing code since 1983.  I have written code in many computer languages on many different platforms.  My degree is in Computer Science with emphasis in Computer Languages.  I pick up proprietary languages fairly quickly; FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced is no exception (well...maybe).  I've been coding FMP15A for three weeks now and have made leaps and bounds, I have one app in production as of early last week.  I read the Community discussions and questions as well as other FMP15 online documentation and the "Missing Manual for FMP 14".

I have received or read advice from Beverly, Phil, Bruce, David, TS, Mike, and Kris (the coherent one) just to name a few and there are many.  This community is outstanding; full of helpful, knowledgeable, patient, and unselfish members.

Everyday (Monday through Friday), once my normal daily tasks are completed, my projects are up-to-date, and all fires are extinguished, I jump into FMP15A.  Everyday, I am overwhelmed by the vastness of FMP!  Admittedly, it is going to take longer than I first expected to become proficient in FMP15A; don't get me wrong, I didn't think FMP was going to be a piece of cake.  I figured I'd be proficient with FMP in three to four months.  I think it will take longer; there's so much to learn.  Example: Today, I read about security and using Active Directory for app authentication on the server.  I did what the documentation said and (sadly) It didn't work. I will continue to work through it, trying this and that until...voila or defeat.  I try not to post questions right away; I'd rather exhaust myself first.

My hat's off to those of you who aren't just knowledgeable put are also tolerant of us new to the family.

Humbly yours,

Ron Harris

Outcomes