1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 7:34 AM by TSGal

FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working

DamonCasey

I've searched for this problem but cannot find another issue report that is similar.

Product and version

FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced 15.0.1.119

OS and version

El Capitan 10.11.4

Hardware

iMac Retina 17" (Late 2015)

Description

I've found an issue where scripts stop being performed in FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced.

Coming from layout mode into browse mode, an OnTimer script that is running in the window is triggered but the script is not performed. Opening the Script Debugger shows the script is running as the Pause button is active. The stop button can be clicked and other menu commands continue to work after stopping the script but no scripts can be performed from menus/buttons/script triggers.

The Close Window command also becomes inactive so the system I'm working on cannot be closed from the menu command, keyboard shortcut or the window's close widget.

How to replicate

Unknown. This seems to happen after using FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced for some time (e.g. an hour or more).

Workaround

None. FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced needs to be force quit, losing all the items in the Data Viewer's Watch tab.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
          DamonCasey

A strange thing is the Quit command is still available. If I open the debugger I can see the OnLastWindowClose script has been triggered and if I open and close the debugger (closing with the debugger window's 'Close widget') it does move through the script and stalls on a Close File step where an external file is closed.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
            TSGal

DamonCasey:

Thank you for your posts.

What actions does the OnTimer script perform?  What is the time interval?

Is there a custom menu active?

How many files are open?  How many windows are open?

If you want, send in a copy of your solution so I can test it here.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
              DamonCasey

Hello TSGal,

The OnTimer script is performed every 15 minutes as it is backing up my development when developing locally by saving a compacted copy and a clone to two separate folders. If there are multiple files in the solution, it performs a backup script in each file that saves each file as a compacted copy and a clone.

I will send you a PDF of the script for review.

I've now found a similar issue where scripts aren't performed when clicking buttons on a layout. If the Script Debugger is closed, I can use the menu command to open the debugger window and the script is then triggered and completes. If I leave the debugger open and click another button, the script is not performed. Closing the debugger and then opening the debugger again, the script is triggered and completes.

I've created a 2.5 minute video to illustrate this issue which I'll also send you.

Regards,

Damon.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
                DamonCasey

I've sent an email with details and uploaded the video and PDF file to WeTransfer.

Regards,

Damon.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
                  TSGal

DamonCasey:

Your PDF and movie file have been received.  Thank you.

The PDF is straight-forward.  Quite a few custom functions, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Your video is perplexing, as I have not seen this type of manifestation.  Is this easily reproducible?  Or, does this manifestation occur after "x" amount of time or after "y" occurrences of the OnTimer script?

I didn't see the OnTimer script execute in the Debugger during the 2-minute video.  I need to know if the OnTimer script appears in the Debugger when you run into this manifestation.

After seeing the video and your description of the leftmost button, I expected to see the script execute in the Debugger, but nothing happened.  My initial thought is this might be memory related.  Since you are on Mac OS X, look at the Activity Monitor to see how much memory is being used by FileMaker Pro when this issue occurs.  Then, after a restart, check the memory again.

Any other information or observations you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
                    DamonCasey

Hello TSGal,

The problem in the video happened twice yesterday. Once when FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced had been running for a good few hours and the second time within a few minutes of relaunching FMPA where the OnTimer script had not been triggered for the first time after launch.

Based on the evidence in the video where the debugger was open and clicking on a button didn't cause the script to appear in the debugger, I would presume that the OnTimer script would also not appear. When this happens again, I'll leave the debugger open for a 20 minute period, long enough for the OnTimer script to be triggered and report back the results.

I'll also note the memory usage in Activity Monitor and report back.

Regards,

Damon.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
                      DamonCasey

Hello TSGal,

I've had the problem occur this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks.

The debugger was open and the OnTimer script appeared. I performed the script and immediately afterwards I was unable to run any further scripts. The Close Window and Quit FileMaker Pro commands became inactive. Leaving the script running with the debugger closed for a couple of minutes allowed to me to open the debugger and stop the script. This activated the Close Window and Quit FileMaker Pro commands but I couldn't perform them because of the OnLastWindowClose script trigger that wouldn't perform.

Checking the memory in Activity Monitor when the problem occurred, FMPA 15 was running at 426MB. After restarting with no database open, it was running at 161.9MB and after restoring a backup of the file I was working on when having to force quit, it's now running at 477.5MB.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
                        TSGal

DamonCasey:

Thank you for the additional information.

Even though I cannot reproduce the issue, I have sent all information, including the video and script, to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

Do you have any plug-ins installed and enabled?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
                          TSGal

DamonCasey:

Testing is also unable to replicate the issue.  They have asked for the following information:

1. Is the file local or being hosted by FileMaker Server?  If the latter, what version?  What operating system?

2. Are there any plug-ins being used?  If so, what are the plug-ins?

3. What else is the OnTimer script doing?  The PDF shows calls to three other scripts?

4. Are there any Script Triggers in the Layout or in any Fields?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
                            DamonCasey

Hello TSGal,

I'm working on a large project install at the moment so I can't provide the information yet. Once things calm down, I'll provide the details then.

I'm not sure if this problem is actually affecting only one system. I have the same scripts in all development files and the large install I'm working on hasn't shown the behaviour as far as I can remember. If this is correct, I'll send a clone of the problematic system to see if you can replicate the issue.

Regards,

Damon.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
                              DamonCasey

Hello TSGal,

1. Is the file local or being hosted by FileMaker Server?  If the latter, what version?  What operating system?

No, this is local and open in FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced.

2. Are there any plug-ins being used?  If so, what are the plug-ins?

Yes, I always have Dracovention's 2empowerFM Developer Assistant plug-in installed. I also have the 24u SimpleDialog plug-in and Dacon's Mailit plug-in. I've removed the SimpleDialog plug-in and Dacon's Mailit plug-in from the Extensions folder in the FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced application folder and will see if the issue persists. I'm constantly using the Developer Assistant plug-in so I'll disable that if the problem persists after removing the other plug-ins.

3. What else is the OnTimer script doing?  The PDF shows calls to three other scripts?

The system is made up of three files. The OnTimer script is saving a copy of the current file and calling scripts in the other two files to save a copy of those files too. I've emailed you PDFs of those scripts.

4. Are there any Script Triggers in the Layout or in any Fields?

The failure happens when I'm working on many different layouts where there are various script triggers attached to fields, there are 10 layouts that have layout-based triggers out of a total 133 layouts. The problem occurs on many layouts where layout-based triggers don't exist.

The problem often happens when I switch from Layout Mode back to Browse Mode on layouts that don't have layout-based triggers and the OnTimer is triggered by switching modes.

A further observation; the system is using custom menus and going into Layout Mode continues to show the custom menu from Browse Mode too. If I switch to a different application and then back to FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced, the Layout Mode menus appear. When switching back to Browse Mode, the Layout Mode's menus remain active and switching away from FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced and back again refreshes Browse Mode to display the custom menu.

I'm going to ask the client if they're happy for me to send you a copy of the system.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
                                TSGal

DamonCasey:

Thank you for your answers, and thank you for the email with the PDFs.  All of this has been sent back to to Development and Testing for further review.  I will keep you posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
                                  TSGal

DamonCasey:

I received the remaining PDFs.  Thank you.  These have been forwarded to Development and Testing.

Keep me posted with the results of removing all plug-ins, including Developer Assistant plug-in.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 scripts stop working
                                    DamonCasey

TSGal:

I've now seen this affect another file using FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced 15.0v2. I did think it was only affecting a single file but maybe that was due to working on it for a prolonged period and not working in other files as much.

Regards,

Damon.

1 2 3 Previous Next