4 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 8:26 AM by TSGal

Save to Excel

cwiltgen86

Using Filemaker 15.01

I got to a list view with a hidden field and got File>Save/Send As>Excel the hidden field is in the excel file.  This is a major problem.  The documentation says only fields that are visible will save.

• 1. Re: Save to Excel
          beverly

Confirming the documentation:

Note  When saving as an Excel file, FileMaker Pro does not save fields that are not visible in Browse or Preview mode.

(more notes about panel controls and popovers)

This does not specify the 'view' (Form, List, Table), however OP is using List View.

I have tested with Table View (Browse mode) and the "Modify" to only show fields (in Table View) that I wish to have in the Save As (Excel). I have also used Export (to Excel) to limit fields in the export.

The help documentation may need some clarification.

beverly

• 2. Re: Save to Excel
            TSGal

cwiltgen86:

Thank you for your post.

I can confirm Save to Excel includes fields with a "Hide object when" condition.  I can understand that the "Hide object when" condition may be false for some records, so you would want that field included.  The only way to not include the field is to remove it from the layout.

For clarification, I have sent this information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Save to Excel
              TSGal

cwiltgen86:

Development and Testing verify this is working as expected, so it has now been sent to Product Documentation for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Save to Excel
                TSGal

cwiltgen86:

With the release of FileMaker 16, the Help section for "Saving and sending records as an Excel file" has been updated:

FileMaker Pro 16 Help

Specifically, in the Notes section, it says:

"All fields on the current layout are included in the Excel file, except fields on popovers and fields that are not on the front-most panel of a panel control. Even fields that would be hidden by the "Hide object when" option are included."

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.