10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2016 8:07 AM by taylorsharpe

How do I view a remote mySQL database using File Maker Pro?

cthomas117

I am quite new to database, so please bear with me.  I have a database that's been created and I'd like to view the results in File Maker Pro; this was suggested to my by a friend.  I can view the result of the database using phpMyAdmin, but it looks incredibly horrible.

I have ti IP address of the server and localhost is 3306.  I have no idea what to do next.

• 1. Re: How do I view a remote mySQL database using File Maker Pro?
          wimdecorte

start here:

https://www.filemaker.com/downloads/documentation/techbrief_intro_ess.pdf

You may also want to get the FileMaker Training Series (Basics + Advanced); they are dirt cheap and are loaded with examples.  The Advanced one has a step by step for setting up ESS in FM.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I view a remote mySQL database using File Maker Pro?
            beverly

Do you have the login to see the database? Do you have the permission to view besides phpmyadmin?

Sent from my miPhone

• 3. Re: How do I view a remote mySQL database using File Maker Pro?
              cthomas117

Yes I have the login and permission to view the database and phpMyAdmin as this is my project and domain.

• 4. Re: How do I view a remote mySQL database using File Maker Pro?
                David Moyer

HI,

using the aforementioned ESS (external sql sources) is probably what you want.  There is a lot to learn/know here, but the essential starting place for you is to create a DSN that FM can use to connect to your MySQL database.  From there, it's a matter of "adding a new table occurrence to your relationships graph, using add ODBC data source."

• 5. Re: How do I view a remote mySQL database using File Maker Pro?
                  beverly

Do you have the correct ODBC driver for viewing MySQL from FileMaker?

Sent from my miPhone

• 6. Re: How do I view a remote mySQL database using File Maker Pro?
                    taylorsharpe

There is a lot of good advice above.  ESS works wonderfully in FileMaker because you can make a table occurrence out of the MySQL Table and use it just like it is any other FileMaker table.  Keep in mind you have to first have the correct ODBC driver on the machine hosting the FileMaker solution.  I'm going to assume it is a FileMaker Server.  One real benefit of FileMaker Server is that it can have the ODBC connection to MySQL and none of the other FileMaker clients will need an ODBC driver, which actually is a big deal.  Note that FileMaker only supports specific version of MySQL.  And if your solution is hosted on a Mac, there is only one driver available and it costs money (unlike many windows ODBC drivers) and it is from Actual Technologies.  Great driver and they support it well, but it is not cheap for the server.  And you will need the server version if you want to use it on FileMaker server, so don't accidentally buy the client version.  If you just want to test it, their driver works fine but only returns like 10 records for each SQL call.  So you can test it before buying it just realizing it will only see the first 10 records of each table. 

What is wonderful about ESS is that just by going to a FileMaker layout based on the MySQL table occurrence in FileMaker, you see live MySQL data and can create, edit, delete live data.  It's really slick! 

Caution:  MySQL tables will not perform as fast as FileMaker ones.  It will perform best if you have them on the same local area network.  But you can use them across the WAN (internet) just fine, but performance will not be the best.  Expect to have to optimize performance if you're connecting across the WAN by minimizing data calls, sorts, etc.  And lastly, while you can make a table occurrence in FileMaker based on a MySQL table, you cannot edit the schema of a MySQL table in FileMaker.  You will still have to do that in MySQL. 

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: How do I view a remote mySQL database using File Maker Pro?
                      cthomas117

Taylor,

I guess this is something that is over my head as it certainly sounds like it.  I definitely appreciate your information  as you offered substantially more information and advice than everyone else that chimed in on the question.  I guess I’m one of the guys that has no idea what he’s doing and too scary to know where to jump in.  I will give it a try and see what happens

On a side note, I see you grew up in St. Louis; so did I.  I graduated from Parkway North Sr..

• 8. Re: How do I view a remote mySQL database using File Maker Pro?
                        wimdecorte

cthomas117 wrote:

I guess I’m one of the guys that has no idea what he’s doing and too scary to know where to jump in. I will give it a try and see what happens

Referring back to my answer earlier in the thread, go with the FileMaker Training Series - Advanced book (FileMaker Training Series | FileMaker ).  Chapter 9 - Integration has a detailed step by step on how to set up ESS.  In addition to describing both the fundamentals of it and a long list of 'gotchas'.

• 9. Re: How do I view a remote mySQL database using File Maker Pro?
                          beverly

You may wish to connect with another developer in you current location. Setting up ESS (if you have the permissions and driver) is not complex. However, a little hands-on may be what you need.

The documentation in Wim's first reply will help you and we all recommend you read it.

beverly

• 10. Re: How do I view a remote mySQL database using File Maker Pro?
                            taylorsharpe

cthomas117 wrote:

On a side note, I see you grew up in St. Louis; so did I. I graduated from Parkway North Sr..

Its great to see another guy from St. Louis working in FileMaker.  I went to Chaminade out on Lindbergh way back in the day.  I haven't lived there in decades, but a few fun memories from back then. 

FYI, Skeleton Key is one of the FileMaker platinum companies and is based St. Louis.  They have offices around the country, but are HQ'd in St. Louis and have a very good reputation.  Fun to see such a successful company in my old stomping grounds.