5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 9:54 AM by coherentkris

Booleans in formulas

jeanc

In conditional formatting, using the content of another field as condition input in a formula. If, to change the format of "table_1::field_A", I use "isEmpty(table_1::field_B)", this function returns a boolean, and the conditional formatting works. But if I simply use in the formula "table_1::field_B", according to the formula window it also returns a boolean: true if not empty; but then the conditional formatting doesn’t work. In both cases, according to the formula window, the result is a boolean, but the conditional formatting behaves differently.

Please, what am I missing?

• 1. Re: Booleans in formulas
          David Moyer

Hi,

How is table_1::field_B defined?  It seems like it would have to be a number to evaluate properly.  Typically, Boolean is zero and non-zero, as opposed to empty and not empty.  Does that guide you anywhere?

• 2. Re: Booleans in formulas
            beverly

"Pure" Boolean is 1 or 0. However, FileMaker allows for 0, 1 or "" (empty). While I have been known to use that "feature", if you validate the field to always have the 0 or 1, (set data to 0 by default?), then you will never have an empty.

0 ≠ "" (empty)

beverly

• 3. Re: Booleans in formulas
              David Moyer

true (1), but obviously FileMaker lacks a Boolean variable type.  So, in FileMaker, zero is false, non-zero is true.  To deal with empty number fields, I use (myNumber > 0) to provide a Boolean 1 or 0.

• 4. Re: Booleans in formulas
                jeanc

Thank you Beverly and David.

The field type of the condition input was text, the behavior of this conditional formatting is unpredictable unless using the function isEmpty().  I tested with a number field, then the behavior was predictable: empty or 0 = false without using any function.  So the return status of the formula window should display "undefined" when a raw text field ( "table_1::field_A" ) is used as input for conditional formatting.

Could it be that booleans are internally represented by numbers, and that a function is required to make a type casting if the field is not already a number?

• 5. Re: Booleans in formulas
                  coherentkris

To expand on Bevs response..

You can also test using built in constants true and false where true = 1 and false = 0