AnsweredAssumed Answered

Adding additional records from Excel and Guest viewing

Question asked by frimages on Aug 8, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 by BillisSaved

This is my first post and I hope I'm doing it correctly.

I'm new to FMP and having downloaded the trial I have only 19 days remaining.

Whilst I've learned a lot in the past 10 days I still have much to learn and I hope to find some answers through the community.

I am hoping to use FMP to hold a searchable archive for my local history society. We have been scanning documents, photographs, maps etc and have now some 3,500 accessions (lots more to go) held in an Excel workbook. I've imported the Excel file in to FMP and all is well but as the Excel file is constantly being updated as new accessions are added I need to update the FMP database. I've found some help through the community but when I go to 'Import field mapping' and click on 'import action - Add new records', I get the whole excel file added including the original data giving me lots of duplicate records. I only want the new data from Excel.

I intend to use the 'Guest' login for visitors to our history room and I've made a start page outlining a few rules and regulations that visitors must agree to when accessing the archive. A button on the start page takes viewers to the guest viewing page (with find and view only access) but I can't find a way of ensuring that FMP starts up on the 'Start Page'.

A third problem I have is with word files. Inserting as reference only is OK but double clicking on the file name in the container does not open the word document. I have no problem with PDF documents and jpeg files etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Frank

Win10 pro 64, MS Word 2010 FMP 15 Trial

Outcomes