7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 4:40 AM by cillion

Force orginal window size when using dialog window

cillion

Hi there!

Im using a picker pop up window in my solution. And I'v noticed that the orginal window where I launch the picker from is shrinking when using the picker. Is there some way around this? The users need to manually adjust the window size after this operation every time.

• 1. Re: Force orginal window size when using dialog window
          SteveMartino

Is this a Windows environment?  If so this is a well known annoyance and found on this forum many times.  You maximize you're db window, then when you open a second window, the first un-maximizes.

You can't maximize the db window.  You can not maximize by the button in the upper right like normal.  Instead if you manually almost maximize the db window, any second window in the solution that opens (which can be sized by scripting) will not affect the original window.

• 2. Re: Force orginal window size when using dialog window
            Mike_Mitchell

Steve is correct. Because the current incarnation of FileMaker opens an application window, you cannot leave one window maximized and another not. Here's a script I use to adjust the window to the maximum available size:

Show / Hide Toolbars [ Hide ]

Show / Hide Text Ruler [ Hide ]

Move / Resize Window [ Current Window ; Height: Get ( ScreenHeight ) - 47 ; Width: Get ( ScreenWidth ) - 7 ; Top: 0 ; Left: ; 0 ]

Refresh Window

You can adjust the number of pixels for the height and width offsets depending on your particular monitors and whether the toolbars and text ruler are shown.

HTH

Mike

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Force orginal window size when using dialog window
              cillion

Show / Hide Toolbars [ Hide ]

Show / Hide Text Ruler [ Hide ]

Move / Resize Window [ Current Window ; Height: Get ( ScreenHeight ) - 47 ; Width: Get ( ScreenWidth ) - 7 ; Top: 0 ; Left: ; 0 ]

Refresh Window

This script steps right before opening the new window you mean? This would leave the original window as big as it can be?

• 4. Re: Force orginal window size when using dialog window
                Mike_Mitchell

No, it runs on the original window so it gives the appearance of “maximized” but doesn’t collapse when you open a new window. You can put it in the OnFirstWindowOpen script if you like.

• 5. Re: Force orginal window size when using dialog window
                  philmodjunk

This is one reason, if you can get it to meet the requirements of your current solution, to not open that additional window. If possible (and it often isn't) use a popover instead of a new window. This is simpler to set up and leaves your maximized windows maximized.

Where this fails is when you need the new window to have a different context and/or found set than the original window, but if you basically need a souped up custom dialog for data entry, use a popover.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Force orginal window size when using dialog window
                    Mike_Mitchell

Agreed. A popover with a virtual list can serve well here.

Such considerations are important with the advent of single window interfaces in iOS and WebDirect.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Force orginal window size when using dialog window
                      cillion

I have now done the solution Mike delivered pluss a adjust window[maximiced] after my script close the popup picker window. Then its almost not able to notice the window change on the orginal window.

But on the iOS and webdirect layout I would certainly use a popover