1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 10:31 AM by JamesReed

FMS 14 Stopping Randomly

JamesReed

Have had consistent problems with a Mac Mini and FMS 14 where the database will not be available, and when checking FMS Admin, it shows it as off, but can be switched back on (it shows WEb Server and Web Publishing Engine as both still on, just Filemaker Server as off).  Trying to get to bottom of cause of this maddening problem.

Enclosed are error logs - wondering if anyone can decipher and shed some light on what it could be.

Thanks in advance!

James Reed

• 1. Re: FMS 14 Stopping Randomly
          TSPigeon

JamesReed:

Thank you for your post!

Upside, the crashes seem to have the same cause. Looks like they were a little over 2 hours apart too. If you could provide a little more information:

What update of FileMaker Server 14 are you running? (ie. 14.0.3, 14.0.4.414, etc.)

Were there any changes made before the crashes began?

How often are you receiving these crashes?

Would you be able to provide Server Logs and System Information?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS 14 Stopping Randomly
            JamesReed

14.0.4 FMS

No changes, had been running for weeks/months.

After initial one this morning, has happened 3 times - I can't it to stay stable for the client so quite an issue.

I bring it up, it goes down in same way after an unspecified time.  Same exact symptoms each time - Filemaker Server is off.

Server logs- I've attached zipped versions of Filemaker Server logs; don't know if there are others you are interested in.

Thanks in advance for any help - trying to determine if file corruption could cause (although running recover on copy comes back clean) or server issue - in which case I move to a new server.

James Reed

• 4. Re: FMS 14 Stopping Randomly
              JamesReed

Sorry  - version of FMS is 14.0.4.412

• 5. Re: FMS 14 Stopping Randomly
                TSPigeon

JamesReed

Strangely the Event.log is only showing data from 2016-08-09 13:20:14.059, no later. I'm unable to see what was happening around the time of your first crashes at 9:42AM and 11:52AM. I was able to check the 14:37:20.954 crash-which shows:

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 3.50.08 PM.png

I noticed the IRG back up never finished and it was closed improperly earlier in the day. Possible to remove this temporarily or upload a backup previous to this issue occurring? If you pulled the Event Log Pre-2016-08-09 13:20:14.059 just send that over. The more data to compare the better.

I'm not sure it would help with the crashes, but you may want to update to 14.0.4.414 (4b patch) when possible.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMS 14 Stopping Randomly
                  JamesReed

Yeah, I noticed that logs mysteriously didn't go back as far as earlier - don't why they got cleared out; but when I looked at the earlier filemaker logs they didn't shed much light either.  But noticed backup hadn't finished - I was thinking it was something to do with backups, so disabled backups and set live again, connected 3 dummy users and same thing again.

Regarding this: "Possible to remove this temporarily or upload a backup previous to this issue occurring?" - you mean to remove the IRG database from the live data and replace it with an earlier backup, correct?  It is the one database I'm concerned about really. 

From your experience, is more likely something to do with corruption in database, or OS/FMS issue?

James

• 7. Re: FMS 14 Stopping Randomly
                    TSPigeon

JamesReed:

You are correct on my troubleshooting suggestion.

I wouldn't think it's OS level. We'd currently be looking at Solution, FileMaker Installation, and Third-Party. It's a Mac, so third-party isn't as likely to be the problem unless it caused a solution or installation to become corrupt.

If it's the installation:

1. uninstall

2. rename the server folder

3. reinstall with a fresh download of the installer (don't deploy)

4. Update to 14.0.4.414 (then deploy)

If Solution damage, I'd recommend recovery options. From importing data into a recovered clone or rebuild to be sure there is less possibility for the issue to return.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMS 14 Stopping Randomly
                      JamesReed

Okay, now FMS Admin is now not updating/showing proper number of connected users, and not allowing me to uncheck schedules, as well as not updating log - so assume it's something gone bad with installation (unless Solution damage could cause such symptoms?).   But it is staying "up" longer with a backup.

James

• 9. Re: FMS 14 Stopping Randomly
                        TSPigeon

JamesReed:

I would agree it is leaning towards the Installation with those types of issues. It's progressively showing more issues though. I would recommend checking that no Third-Party Security/Anti-Virus or Backup software is touching the FileMaker Server folder (with the exception of the Backups folder) then follow instructions above for a reinstall. We'll see if that doesn't resolve everything.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FMS 14 Stopping Randomly
                          JamesReed

Okay, thanks for help - to get them online quickly, temporarily moving them to another server  - fingers crossed problem doesn't follow file! - then uninstall and reinstall - might do whole OS first to be extra sure.

Thanks again; and I'll update this is anything further found.

James

• 11. Re: FMS 14 Stopping Randomly
                            JamesReed

Also: if Recover says the file is okay (no errors) - is that reliable that it really is okay? Or could there still be corruption that Recover doesn't pick up?

James

• 12. Re: FMS 14 Stopping Randomly
                              TSPigeon

JamesReed:

It is a good sign, but the Recover in FileMaker Pro isn't perfect. There is a chance it just doesn't detect the damage.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FMS 14 Stopping Randomly
                                JamesReed

Arrgh!! Clean backup on new server exhibited same behaviour!

Logs and error enclosed.  El Capitan; 14.0.4.414

So I'm assuming it's some corruption not picked up by Recover?  Is that the most logical conclusion - two different servers, same symptoms?

James

• 14. Re: FMS 14 Stopping Randomly
                                  TSPigeon

JamesReed:

With the information you have, the issue does seem to be solution related. You might see: What to do when your file is corrupt for information on recovering a damaged Database File. While evidence leans towards "IRG.fmp12", I would recommend running a recover on all other files as well.  You can also confirm which solution is causing the issue, by removing them from the Server individually.

Another possibility would be corrupt schedules or settings. This would only be possible if you were saving and loading schedules and settings from one Server installation to the other.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next