6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 9:32 PM by marsdepa

Setting up Accounts with Pro, Go and FM Server.

marsdepa

Hi People

I have a small FMP DB that is hosted on FM server and have set up accounts so that different users have different access, all standard stuff, there are only a few users so there's no point in setting up external authorisation. However I've tested the accounts and the privilege sets that go with them on a sample DB that's on my local computer only and they work fine. Yet when I try them on the hosted DB on FM Server they don't work. What happens is that I get a warning box telling me I don't have the right privilege, I click OK twice on the box and then it lets me in, but opens with the iPad interface. I've clicked "FMAPP" in the extended privilege set up, why is this happening, can anyone advise please.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Setting up Accounts with Pro, Go and FM Server.
          philmodjunk

Does your solution consist of a single file or just one?

Is there a script set to run "onFirstWIndowOpen"?

Do you have FileMaker Advanced?

If you have such a script and advanced, you might try this to see if it provides you with more insight:

Launch FileMaker advanced without opening any files.

Enable the script debugger. Then open the hosted file.

This will let you step through the script and you can then find which step in the script tripped the error message.

• 2. Re: Setting up Accounts with Pro, Go and FM Server.
            marsdepa

Hi Phil

It's just a single file and yes there is a script that runs when the file is opened but it is meant to open the iPad interface when the file is accessed by an iPad, which it did do before I set up accounts. No I don't have advanced.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Setting up Accounts with Pro, Go and FM Server.
              philmodjunk

That's unfortunate. Advanced saves the developer a lot of time and effort when things don't work as expected.

What you can do is add a series of show custom dialogs, put a different message into each so that you can tell them apart into your script. Then run it an note which show custom dialog was the last to appear before you get the error message. You may have to repeat the process a time or two after repositioning your script in order to isolate the specific step that is causing the error message. You can then share your script and report back here which step was the culprit and we can consider why that happened in your case.

• 4. Re: Setting up Accounts with Pro, Go and FM Server.
                marsdepa

Yeah, might look into getting FM advanced.

Here's the start up script with the custom dialogue boxes inserted at different steps:

All this works fine using the 'Admin' account which has full access, but it's when I use the restricted account that I get the FM dialogue box that advises that " I don't have access privileges to this account", but I click "ok" and the box appears again, I click "ok" again and it let's me in, but opens the file with the iPad interface, and none of my custom dialogue appears. Both accounts have passwords.

• 5. Re: Setting up Accounts with Pro, Go and FM Server.
                  philmodjunk

And which custom dialog messages appear before you get those error messages?

But I can guess as to a possible reason for what you report. Do you have layouts and/or tables that are not accessible/viewable for the restricted account?

Might that be the first layout to open when your file opens?

You might need to use the "switch to layout" feature in File Options to specify a layout that is accessible to all accounts. Your script can then run from the context of that layout while it identifies the device and pops up the correct layout.

• 6. Re: Setting up Accounts with Pro, Go and FM Server.
                    marsdepa

Thank you Phil, you are a genius sir.

The layouts were fine because all could be accessed for data entry and edits, but your advice prompted me to look closely at the privileges and the problem was with the script access, I had specified no access at all, but I didn't realise there was an option for "all executable only" in the privileges assigned to that account, so I chose that and everything works fine.

Thanks for your help!!

1 of 1 people found this helpful