AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I prevent layout objects from resizing when I edit them?

Question asked by clay.lorance on Aug 12, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 25, 2016 by philmodjunk

A couple of versions ago, Filemaker added a new "feature" in layout mode that is driving me absolutely bonkers, and I'd really like to turn it off.  It goes like this:

Previous versions:  You have a button that is 11x11, and its text label is "CC".  You decide you need to edit the label, so you choose the text edit tool in Layout mode, click the text on the button, and edit your text.  Done and done.  Your button is still 11x11.

Current version:  You have a button that is 11x11, and its text label is "CC".  You decide you need to edit the label, so you choose the text edit tool in Layout mode, click the text on the button ... and now your button has automatically resized itself to whatever Filemaker thinks is appropriate for your font, and the symmetry of your layout is now totally screwed. Once you finish editing the text, you have to manually change the size of the button back to what you had before.  Plus, the auto-resize has likely changed the X Y coordinates as well, so you now have to move the button back to its original position.

It's absolutely infuriating, and it's making every design project take at least 50% longer.

Is there any way to turn this off?  It has NEVER been helpful in any way whatsoever.

Outcomes