2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2016 11:55 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker client runs "on timer" script on server

Xavier van Buchem

Hi all!

I have a filemaker pro that runs an "on timer" script on a database that's hosted on a filemaker server.

Both the server and the client are on the same machine. Mac OS X 10.11.6

I would like to be sure that the "on timer" script is running all the time.

What's the best way to :

Make sure the filemaker pro launches the "on timer" script when the server restarts.

Make sure that the "on timer" script is running or alerts me with an email otherwise.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Filemaker client runs "on timer" script on server
          wimdecorte

I wouldn't use the OnTimer event in FM for this.  (And I wouldn't do this on the same machine as FMS but that is another discussion).

Use Applescript triggered through the OS on a schedule.  Apple Events can run scripts and since it can also check whether to see FMP is running and the file is open, it is a much more robust setup than relying on a script in FM.  If your FM quits or the file closes then your routine won't work.  With something triggered through the OS on a schedule you can make sure everything runs properly.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filemaker client runs "on timer" script on server
            philmodjunk

I wonder what the time interval is for the timer here....

After all, a schedule set up on the server can run a script at regular intervals. That's what it's for after all. But I suspect that this timer has a very small interval and that's why the OnTimer script. But if I'm wrong, please consider using a schedule to run the script.