dburnham

Mysterious CWP or  WPE problem or both

Discussion created by dburnham on Aug 13, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 13, 2016 by dburnham

FileMaker Server 14 on Windows 2012 Standard R2 is hosting a number of databases, one of which is accessible with CWP from a set of PHP pages that are hosted at a service called Wired Tree.   From time to time, the person responsible for editing PHP pages opens a connection to his directory at Wired Tree to upload new content to the web site.

We suspect that the FTP connection is causing the problem described below, but at this point, it's just a guess.

First, we observe that the PHP connection to FileMaker Server stops behaving normally.  In FileMaker Server, this morning, I observed when I was notified of the issue that there were at that moment 11 open CWP connections and the Web Publishing Engine was running normally (green checkmark.)  I did not have time to perform the typical use of the test page before observing within a few minutes that the Web Publishing Engine had stopped and there were at that moment 15 open connections.

Rather than reboot the server and interrupt users of other databases, I attempted to dismiss the open connections by using the Disconnect command, but it fails to disconnect them.   However, if I close the database that is affected and wait a little while, it will dismiss all the open CWP connections and then I can re-open the database.   At that point, I was able to perform the Test Page for the PHP test and got normal results.

I'm puzzled about why the opening of an FTP connection to a remote server at Wired Tree would interfere with CWP/PHP connections to FileMaker Server.  I'm guessing that it somehow interferes with that remote server's ability to interact with FMS on my server and once that interrupt occurs, all successive PHP calls are backed up until FileMaker Server's CWP engine dies from the overload?   Again, just a guess and I don't know what to look for in the logs.

Any help will be appreciated.

Outcomes