1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2016 9:22 PM by bigtom

FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?

planteg

Hi all,

with Licensing for teams, a license  is needed for every user that will connect. I was wandering how a license is granted to a specific user ? There is still a lot to learn/understand about this new licensing system. Maybe it's explained in a published document I am not aware of.

Thanks

• 1. Re: FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?
          Markus Schneider

AFAIK there are no personalized licencies - if You have a 20 user-FLT, there are 20 connections, basta.

User John Doe can log in from as many devices as he likes - as long as there are connections available..

• 3. Re: FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?
            planteg

Markus,

you said "User John Doe can log in from as many devices as he likes - as long as there are connections available.". The FAQ at FileMaker Licensing for Teams FAQ | FileMaker states "Each user may connect to FileMaker Server with only one client at a time.". I think what you say would be true for Concurrent connections only.

I read again all I can find on the subject, and I think I may start to understand the new Licensing system. Say we put aside FileMaker Pro Advanced.

Legacy Licensing

Connections for FileMaker Pro are handled differently than connections for FM Go and WebDirect.

FileMaker Pro: includes the license to connect to server, no need to buy a separate license.

FM Go and WebDirect: you need to buy licenses by pack of 5. Say you have 20 licenses, then the server will accept up to 20 connections. A single person may connect at the same time from FM Go and WebDirect, this will count as 2 connections out of 20.

Licensing for Teams

With this, all type of connections are handled the same way, whether FM Pro, FM Go or WebDirect. Here we talk about a special version of FP Pro, called FM Pro (for user connections) that  you download for free instead of buying of the regular FM Pro. FM Pro Advanced does not need buying a license, it's included with the product. FLT also introduce an important difference: a user (a person) can only log once (I guess that the server will refuse connecting the same account more than once).

Some confusion among people

Where the confusion arises is for example: 8 individuals need to work with FM in total, but a maximum of 5 at a time. Then do you need to buy 10 licenses or 5 ? If the answer is 10, the you would need to grant a license to those 10 specific users (account name ?).

I would like someone for FMI to answer those questions, because reading from FMI Web SIte is not clear, and I think I am not alone seeking answers to these questions.

Thanks

• 4. Re: FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?
              Markus Schneider

it's way too complicated... (Yes, for FM13, we've had a 'presentation' for licencing with about 20 pages...)

- we got the real problem that (for example) a doctor needs to be logged in at several places ar the same time

- we asked FMI about THIS use-case with FLT

-> answer: As long as there are connections available: NO PROBLEM

So, if the Doctor's got a FLT for 20 users and he logs in three times, his partner as well - they got 6 licencies from that pack of 20

-> means that there is no guarantee that 20 people can log in

To have the overview of used/available licencies, a separate table with login-info would be needed

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 5. Re: FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?
                bigtom

I spoke with FileMaker at length about FLT.  As long at the connection is paid for, I do not see why FMI would care who is actually logged in. This is the case.

If only 5 users out of 8 need access at one time you can currently manage this with a 5 user FLT license and not be in violation of the EULA, but it is a bit of work and certain variables need to be known. For the effort it takes, I would say buy the extra connections. They are not that expensive. Hopefully FM will offer single connections one day.

• 6. Re: FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?
                  planteg

Hi,

to add to the confusion, I got this     while searching for something else Information on FLT - FileMaker Server 15 - FMForums.com  There is a post from Wim that reads:

- FLT requires you to buy licenses for everyone on the payroll, not just the number of people that will be using FileMaker.  Old style licensing is just for the number of users you need.  Unless you have a site license then it is by headcount as well.

Everyone on the payroll ??? This is the kind of things I just can't find confirmed in any official documents, that's why I asked FMI to provide more detailed information on the matter of FLT.

• 7. Re: FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?
                    wimdecorte

We've been talking to FMI a lot about this since that post; you don't need to buy for the entire payroll / department but you do need to buy a license for every single person who will ever need to log in.

Which often will be a difference without a distinction.

So if you have a department of 30 people and every one will at some point need to use the solution, but never more than 5 will be on at the same time; you still need to buy 30 licenses.

• 8. Re: FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?
                      bigtom

Staging from the EULA:

"The term “License Count” as used herein refers to both the number of licensed copies of Software and (ii) the number of users authorized to connect to FileMaker Server under the User Connections model or the Concurrent Connections model, as each is respectively indicated in FMI’s contract system. "

Not everyone on the payroll, just those who should have access FM.

"If you are purchasing access to FileMaker Server under the User Connections model, you must purchase separate access for each individual user that will access FileMaker Server. "

User count is governed by authorized access. Access is controlled by account name and password. If you have a system that will keep each user with a unique account name and limit the number of account names to the number licensed at any given time you can manage FLT this way, currently. You can reassign the access right as you wish. If Bob had access and you hired Frank you just deauthorize Bob by deleting his account and and then authorize Frank by creating an account for him.

A site license is everyone on the payroll.

• 9. Re: FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?
                        planteg

Thanks Wim,

that looks very expensive, but I guess one would have to do the maths to compare to the old license system, even though price is now higher.

In the talks you had, did they maintain that a single user can't log more than once ? That would be in contradiction with what others stated in this post.

• 10. Re: FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?
                          wimdecorte

planteg wrote:

In the talks you had, did they maintain that a single user can't log more than once ? That would be in contradiction with what others stated in this post.

No, not really - but it is self-penalizing: if someone logs in more than once then they consume multiple connections leaving less for others.

If you have a 10-user FLT and the first 3 users log in from Pro, Go and WebDirect at the same time then that will consume 9 connections, leaving only 1 for the other 7 users...

• 11. Re: FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?
                            bigtom

The one thing I continually remind my clients I speak with in regard to licensing is that it is not that expensive.

If an employee that has access to FM is not making you profit that exceeds the cost to give them access, get rid of them or seriously evaluate what your solution is doing. We are talking about just over $100/yr per user. I personally would expect a user to make me at least 150x times that if not more in a year.

With FLT you have the added consideration that a few users may generate more profit than others and thereby "carry" the users that generate less but still need access.

• 12. Re: FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?
                              planteg

bigtom sorry to ask,

is your last paragraph from an FMI text, or are they your words  to explains the licensing ?

And that was supposed to be easier to manage .

• 13. Re: FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?
                                planteg

Very interesting way to 'see' the situation.

Thanks

• 14. Re: FM licensing for teams: how to grant licenses ?
                                  bigtom

My words explaining the FLT licensing. I discussed this at length with FMI.

No it is not easy to manage. My advice is to buy the appropriate licensing you need. For $3,300/year you get 30 individual users through all platforms. If FM is an essential part of the business and a company of 30 people cannot manage to afford $5,000/year for FM software/hardware they have bigger problems.

I basically have experienced two types of clients. Those that swear that FM is grossly overpriced and those who think it is extremely affordable.

Development costs are another issue altogether.

1 2 Previous Next