6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 8:15 AM by jbrown

Select specific value from the checkbox

buntharos

Hi Everyone;

I am new to the filemaker. I want to select the specific value list from checked box. for example

I have a checkbox as beldow that allow user to check only 3 items.

Checkbox

1.Legal Problem

2.Family Problem

3.Health / Disability

4.Personal Problem

5.Need emotional Support

In the report I create calculation fields as below

1.Need support 1 (this is field will view the first checked item from the checkbox)

2.Need support 2(this is field will view the second checked item from the checkbox)

3.Need support 3 (this is field will view the third checked item from the checkbox)

Can you help how write the code in the calculation field to view the value from the checked box?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Select specific value from the checkbox
          jbrown

Hello.

There's a great function called Get Value: FileMaker Pro 15 Help . This will pull values from a list. It does what you've asked for here. For your NeedSupport 1 field, you'd use the calculation GetValue ( CheckBoxField ; 1), and so on.

Keep in mind a few things about check box fields:

1. The check box control adds the values they chose to the end of the list.

If the user selects "Legal" and then "Health" , it will look like this:

Legal

Health

If the user unchecks Legal, that will disappear. If they recheck Legal, then it will look like this:

Health

Legal.

i'm not sure that matters in your case, but it is something to be aware of.

Another thing, the above calculation will return nothing if there's no value in that list position: GetValue (CheckBoxField; 3). If that's okay, then fine. Otherwise you may want to put an If statement around it with a default value (such as N/A) if there's no 3rd value checked. (the Let statement is used and is your great friend)

Let ([

_Value = GetValue (YourTable::CheckboxField ; 3)

];

if (IsEmpty (_Value) ; "N/A" ; _Value)

)

This is saying if there's no 3rd value checked (isEmpty), return "N/A" otherwise, return the value of the 3rd checked)

• 2. Re: Select specific value from the checkbox
            buntharos

Thank you very much for your help, now it is working.

• 3. Re: Select specific value from the checkbox
              philmodjunk

Sorry but getvalue won't work here as the values are stored in the field in the order that the check boxes are clicked.

Use filtervalues instead;

Not ( is empty ( filtervalues ( checkboxfieldhere ; "legal problem" ) )

will evaluate as true if a check box value "legal problem" is selected.

It would be simpler to use separate fields with a single check box each. It would be more flexible to set up a related table where selecting an option creates a related record and deselecting deletes it.

• 4. Re: Select specific value from the checkbox
                jbrown

Hmm. I'm not sure why you mention it doesn't work.

The demo file I put together shows it works.

As I understand the OP, he doesn't care what order they're checked, only that each calculated field captures the 1st, 2nd, 3rd values checked.

In the report I create calculation fields as below

1.Need support 1 (this is field will view the first checked item from the checkbox)

2.Need support 2(this is field will view the second checked item from the checkbox)

3.Need support 3 (this is field will view the third checked item from the checkbox)

And it seems the OP doesn't care about "legal problem" being checked, so filterValues doesn't help here.

• 5. Re: Select specific value from the checkbox
                  philmodjunk

Try this demo test:

Put a text field formatted with 3 checkbox values on a layout. Make a copy of it, but remove the check box formatting so that you can see the actual data in the field.

Create at least two records. On one record, click all three check boxes clicking the top check box first, then down to the next. On the second record, click the bottom check box firsts and go up.

Note which value appears in the edit box copy on each record.

Say you have these three values for your value list: Apple; Orange; Kiwi

Clicking top to bottom:

Checkboxes:         Edit Box    GetValue ( CheckboxField ; 1 ) returns "Apple"

Apple                    Apple

Orange                 Orange

Kiwi                       Kiwi

Clicking bottom to top

Checkboxes:         Edit Box     GetValue ( CheckboxField ; 1 ) returns "Kiwi"

Apple                    Kiwi

Orange                 Orange

Kiwi                       Apple

The order in which the user clicks the check boxes determines the order in which the values are stored in the field and so you can't reliably use the order to determine which value was selected. But in both cases, Not IsEmpty ( FilterValues ( CheckBoxField ; "Apple" ) ) will evaluate as True telling you that the Apple value was selected.

• 6. Re: Select specific value from the checkbox
                    jbrown

Hi.

I get what you're saying, but I didn't read anywhere the OP needed his calc field 1 to return true only when "Apple" (in your example) is selected.

I in fact pointed out that which you pointed out as well.

It is my reading of OP that he just wants the first three values checked, in the order they are checked, not that he wants "Legal" in Calc field 1.

EDIT: Okay, the first sentence says OP wants a specific value from the checkbox field. But I used the description of each calculated field to give OP a formula. Admittedly, it is a bit confusing. So OP, either option will work depending on what you're looking for

jb