2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 3:40 AM by fmpdude

Help with relational table

kaiviti

I am building a solution for  my business that supplies 4 products.  I need to have a layout that shows a portal with all the customers listed down the left and then 4 boxes across the row (one for each product) that a value is put in to show how much of each product the customer is ordering.  The qty fields need to be live so that values can be updated on the run.  They also need to create an invoice ( and update that invoice at each value change) for each company.  I should also be able to enter a date in the search field to bring up past orders for that date and for all the listed customers.

Can someone help me out with some ideas on how to do this?

• 1. Re: Help with relational table
          PeterWindle

Although you have only 4 products, you may want to think beyond just 4.

Tables:

Contacts (customers etc)

Products

Orders/Invoices

Order/Invoice Items

Central layout is your Orders. You could have a drop down of clients and a portal of Order Items/Invoice Items

Within the portal of items, you would have your Product (drop down of your products), Qty, etc...

I hope this helps?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help with relational table
            fmpdude

Yes, take a step back.

I would recommend creating an ERD. When you draw the database and list fields in an organized way, you create the ability to communicate your design with managers, team members, other stakeholders. And, aside from being able to then understand (and modify as you go) what you're trying to do yourself, you can post that diagram here for input.

I use an inexpensive tool called SQL Editor.

SQL Editor will let you visually design your FMP database and then it WILL CREATE YOUR FMP DATABASE FOR YOU IN FMP!

Don't mistake the Relationship graph for an ERD tool.

HOPE THIS HELPS.