1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 12:24 PM by steveoh

Push/Pull data to/from Filemaker GO

steveoh

Hi

So I'm working on a solution that requires information to be pulled/pushed to a kiosk mode iPad with Filemaker Go.  The solution itself is on a server, which isn't a problem, the issue arises with what layouts we want to be displayed on the screen.  Let's say we want to update a contact's information, we might push a layout for that, or if they need to sign something, push that layout.  The information retrieval isn't an issue, clearly, it's matching each kiosk with the right information remotely.

Is there something we might use to make this happen?  I had thought of using a non global field value that would be the customer id and one for the layout that we would want them to be on.  The problem is, this would require some form of refresh script, which I had hoped to steer away from.

So essentially, I just need something that tells an iPad to go to a layout based on what I need them to fill out and without the need to touch the iPad.

Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

• 1. Re: Push/Pull data to/from Filemaker GO
          steveoh

I know I only recently posted, but I've come up with a temporary roundabout solution.  I'm not marking this as solved as there's definitely a better solution out there.

I still would like a script based solution, if one exists.

My temporary solution is to use a Link table, meaning a table with a few fields for customer info, the action that needs to be taken, and any other id's that need to be transferred to make it work.  With a splash layout that has a hidden button when these fields are empty.

The general idea is that the clerk's computer can push information to those non global fields and the customer can press 'begin' (or even 'touch the screen to begin') to start filling out the information that is required.  When it's done they simply hit 'submit' and they are placed back on the splash screen.

Any thoughts on a simpler method/alternate solution?