9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 12:59 PM by sreese

Do you use a lot of table occurrences?

sreese

Salutations everyone,

I have been wondering something and I thought I would ask to see what kind of process everyone uses. I have a lot of table occurrences and I am curious if I'm normal with this. I understand selector connector, but I'm a bigger fan of just using the squids so I can logically throw things together.

I find that a lot of times I will use 1 squid for a couple of layouts at most.

I like to start my squid with a global table and then link to the other tables from the core global table. Right now in the solution I'm building the global table has 14 occurrences. I'm not certain if this causes things to be a little slower, but I have done it this way for UI reasons. Its the only way I could figure out to display in portals what I wanted to see. Parent, Child, and grandchild records all at the same time.

I'm curious on thoughts and advice possibly.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Do you use a lot of table occurrences?
          philmodjunk

There can be a performance hit from very large numbers of Table Occurrences, but it's generally a very small fraction of the different factors that can affect speed. The main 'delay' that can happen is when the file first opens as FileMaker has to reference your graph extensively during the opening process (according to what I've been told).

The bigger "time issue" is when others (Or you yourself after a few months of not working with the graph) have to go in and analyze the graph to figure out how to update or fix it. A poorly organized graph can easily slow your efforts by a factor of 10 or more.

So whether you use anchor buoy, selector connector, unified graph or any of the other methods for organizing the graph, be consistent and be modular. Don't be afraid to use text boxes to write notes to yourself and others to document key aspects of the design. This can literally save you and others hours of time spent working with the file.

• 2. Re: Do you use a lot of table occurrences?
            sreese

That is why I have so many TOs.  This is how my structure tends to look. I like to turn on the page preview and make the boxes fit inside of a printed page too.

• 3. Re: Do you use a lot of table occurrences?
              coherentkris

thats not alot of TOs'

• 4. Re: Do you use a lot of table occurrences?
                sreese

That is a fraction of the graph, and its not done. The bottom is still a work in progress and I have at least 3 or 4 more squids to create. I just find myself using the one table repeatedly.

I like to think its fairly easy to read though.

• 5. Re: Do you use a lot of table occurrences?
                  sreese

I'd also like to note we have a multi-file solution at the moment so this is just one "module" to that solution. If we merged it all together into one file I can't imagine what the relationship graph would look like. The file would be huge though.

• 6. Re: Do you use a lot of table occurrences?
                    bertrand

Only the number that are necessary for work.

Page-01.jpeg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Do you use a lot of table occurrences?
                      sreese

I suppose that is a pretty good way to look at it. I just feel like I keep adding tons of them, but to make it work I suppose I do really need as many as I need.

At least I’m using table occurences instead of additional tables though. I’ve seen that in solutions before.

• 8. Re: Do you use a lot of table occurrences?
                        bertrand

In the preceding schema, all tables except the ones in blue, green and grey zones are OTs.

The column at right is made of OTs of the same table.

They are OTs from 2 database files, the local database and an external database.

• 9. Re: Do you use a lot of table occurrences?
                          sreese

I really like how clean that looks. I've been doing a lot of work in my relationship graph today so it looks different than the one up above. Its getting there though.

As I said, I'm using a globals table as the core of almost all of my squids. Partly because it means FM doesn't have to download all of the records, but mainly for the UI style I am incorporating of multiple columns.

Like this:

Don't ask why the messed up names as I'm not responsible for the data that gets entered.