1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2016 2:16 PM by TSGal

Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?

StevenRubenstein

Product and version: FMP 14 & 15

OS and version: Windows 10 & OSX

Description: Records are missing and replaced by blank records or record with question mark ? in every field.

How to replicate: Open the database, show all, sort, scroll to bottom to see blanks

Workaround (if any): none. Must open a backup copy

Please help! Thanks!

• 1. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
          TSGal

StevenRubenstein:

Thank you for your post.

Does this issue occur every time you "show all, sort, scroll to bottom"?  If so, then it appears the file may be damaged.  From your backup file, create a clone (copy with no records).  Open the cloned file, and import the data from the backup file.  See if you can replicate the issue.  If so, then run a Recover on the cloned file and try again.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
            StevenRubenstein

Any idea of how the file could have been damaged? We have backups and saved the data, but I'd really like to know why this happened and how to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
              TSGal

StevenRubenstein:

At this point, I don't know if the file is damaged, a layout is damaged, a field on the layout is damaged, or if data is damaged.  Running a Recover on the cloned file and looking at the Recover.log file may give you a clue.  If you want, feel free to send in your file and I will work with it here.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
                TSGal

StevenRubenstein:

I received your file.  Thank you.

The data in a couple of records contain non-ASCII characters, but it isn't possible to determine what could have caused this corruption.  After running Recover on the file, those records are dropped, and from the resulting Recover.log, some themes and record counts were updated.  The Recovered file is safe to use.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
                  philmodjunk

Hey TS people,

This issue has been around for years--I first saw it in FMP 10. In general, rebuilding a messed up index will clear the problem. Recover also rebuilds indexes so this can clear the issue, but you can also use advanced options to just rebuild all indexes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
                    TSGal

philmodjunk:

Indices may break down over time, depending on records added/edited/deleted, and the nodes and leaves of an index can become unbalanced.  Rebuilding the index will help in most cases.  However, in this case, there was some damaged data in the file, so a complete Recover was necessary.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
                      philmodjunk

Sorry, but the thread read like the TS people had never seen this one before. And we need to let them know about indexing issues so they don't read a thread like this one and assume that there file must be damaged as it might just need re-indexing.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
                        StevenRubenstein

We are still experiencing the same issue. Everything was fine with the file then out of nowhere the same two records blanked out. Please advise.

• 9. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
                          StevenRubenstein

I ran a recovery on some of our other database files and two found problems but I couldn't find the issue in the recovery logs. What can we do?!

I'm confused about what these errors mean, how they started, and how critical they are.  Also, why these files seemed to be running fine but found errors. The first file we discussed was missing records but found NO errors. Confused...

• 10. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
                            FileKraft

I suggest to contact Jürgen Gesswein who is the expert and can repair / recover check out www.fmdiff.com

(I have seen corruption since FMP7)

• 11. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
                              gdurniak

I have collected info on File Corruption here:

http://www.fileshoppe.com/recover.htm

It is way more confusing than need be,  and does require quite a bit of trial and error to diagnose,  and possibly "fix"

Note:  There was a previous post here for a file that added a non-ASCII character in a Text Calculation,  so records were "corrupted" over, and over ( the non-ASCII character confused the field index )

However, if you "Show All", and still see blank records, then most likely FileMaker's Record Index has been scrambled, not a Field Index.  This can only be fixed by importing into a Clone,  as TSGal suggested

A corrupted Field Index, or Record Index is not a big deal, and can be fixed. The real problem here is that the blanks re-appeared, so quickly, after re-importing. That is troubling

Also note that these Blank Records ( phantoms ) often are not real. FileMaker is just trying to display a Record that does not exist

greg

> I'm confused about what these errors mean, how they started, and how critical they are

• 12. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
                                gdurniak

I also have working files, that Recover says have "Problems"

Some "Problems" are of "Low Priority", so the file will work.  However, this list of Low Priority Problems was never published, so we have no idea whether to freak out, or not

Search the Recover Log for any item "changed", or any "difference" other than zero ( e.g. this will point you to a bad field index )

greg

> I'm confused about what these errors mean, how they started, and how critical they are

• 13. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
                                  gdurniak

"Damaged" may be too strong a word

If it is just a scrambled Field Index, or Record Index, that is fairly common ( since FileMaker 2 )

Do you do anything unusual ? e.g.  bulk import, or bulk delete, data from other sources ?  share data thru ODBC or JDBC connections ? use Web Direct, or FM Go ?  use Plugins ? Use Text Calculations to set "flags" ?,  etc

> Any idea of how the file could have been damaged?

• 14. Re: Missing Records - All Fields Replaced with ?
                                    StevenRubenstein

Notes:

-The records seem to change to all ? after running a nightly scheduled server script

-If I run the same script from my PC there is no problem

-Started after upgrading to Server 15

-When I delete the blank/? records, they don't really delete. If I do a find for that record, my results include all of the blanks/? I previously deleted

-I can see the missing records on some computers and the same records show as blank/? on other computers

1 2 Previous Next