6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2016 6:04 PM by keywords

Help please

haider2016

I am making a student database and I have tables called subject1,subject2,etc. All the tables have the same field and same field names. I am trying to display the content of the tables. so, for simplicity, I copied the text data for all fields and try to tell filemaker to bring the data from another table. I just now the way the choosing each text box and assign the data source. Is there any easier way to select all fields at once ?

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Help please
          coherentkris

As soon as you are tempted to name a field or a table with 1,2 etc you should stop and read up on normalization and data modeling

• 2. Re: Help please
            haider2016

Thank you very much.

• 3. Re: Help please
              keywords

I agree with the previous comment. On the face of it it seems a poor model having a series of identical tables. Why would you not have a single table for subjects, with each subject a separate record in that table. You would then need a join table, perhaps called enrolments, to link students to subjects, since students=subjects is clearly a many-to-many relationship.

• 4. Re: Help please
                haider2016

Thanks for your valuable advice.

Sent from my iPad

• 5. Re: Help please
                  haider2016

Thanks again, I really have a single table named Subjects and it is connected to the student table as you mentioned, but I need these tables to store the exam marks for each student. So every student has own marks for a specific subject, and there are many exams in a year. I might be not clear enough in the previous message.

Many thanks for your time, and I would be very appreciated for any of your valuable suggestions.

Kind regards.

Sent from my iPad

• 6. Re: Help please
                    keywords

My guess is that exams should be in their own table with separate join tables to link them to subject and student. But go back to coherentkris's advice and carefully think through the whole data model before you proceed much further.