1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 2:25 PM by DavidJondreau

Table summarising presence or absense of other records

user27101

Hi,

I have a table of Sessions. Each session can occur or not, in each of 12 working weeks (the same session can be repeated in multiple weeks). To represent this I have a related table of "Session Occurances" with fields SessionID and Week. The presence of a record in this table indicates that the session occurs in that week.

The existing system used is an Excel sheet in which each session is a row; there are 12 columns, one per week; and an "x" in a week column means that the session takes place in that week.

How can I recreate this in FileMaker - probably with tick boxes instead of x's in columns - so that there are 12 columns in a table which indicate the presence or absence of a SessionOccurance record for that session and week, and which create or remove those records when ticked or unticked?

• 1. Re: Table summarising presence or absense of other records
          DavidJondreau

What are you going to do with the information? Do you need to summarize it? Report on it? Print it?

I'd recommend using a second table called Sessions which Session Occurences relates to. In a layout based on Sessions you can present the data from Session Occurences. That presentation can take many forms. I would do it with button bars, but you could use simple text objects that hide/show or even portals arranged horizontally or in a repeating field all of which can be modified to reflect the data in Occurences.