10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2016 6:27 AM by schamblee

Kiosk Runtime: Numeric pad

tays01s

I want my Runtime to be in Kiosk mode too reduce security risks and people getting confused if they open with FM. The downside is that this prevents data entry into dialogue boxes when using of PC tablets without their keyboard attached. To overcome this, I'd thought to create a 'Numeric pad' or 'Keyboard' to generate the characters for the edit field/ dialogue box; in other words, have an FM RT 'keyboard' to replace the OS keyboard you can't get to when in Kiosk. However, I've not figured a way to get the entry from this 'character generator' to the field/box.

Has anyone done anything similar?

• 1. Re: Kiosk Runtime: Numeric pad
          beverly

Yes. Buttons that set/clear the field. If this is used for multiple fields, consider settings global field that can be pushed to wherever you need. I'd put the 'keypad' in a popover to hide/show as needed.

Sent from my miPhone

• 2. Re: Kiosk Runtime: Numeric pad
            schamblee

Here is a keyboard and keypad I created. Dropbox - TouchKeypad & TouchKeyboard.fmp12

• 3. Re: Kiosk Runtime: Numeric pad
              tays01s

Beverly: Popover: Yes I'd hoped to put it into that.

Stacy: Really neat, thanks. To cite your work I'd display the text "KEYBOARD & KEYPAD BY HYPERSOFT"? Correct?

3 queries:

1. Where do you get at colour formatting of symbols such as the backspace arrow?

2. Is it possible to use 'Enable Touch Keyboard' script step to bring up the keyboard while remaining in Kiosk mode? Though it looks like the suggested solution gives more control and automation.

3. One querk of the 'soft keyboard' is that when the field automatically selects it's contents the first keystroke doesn't overwrite those contents but insert new characters. I'm not sure there's anything to be done to overcome this.

But thank you.

• 4. Re: Kiosk Runtime: Numeric pad
                schamblee

1. Where do you get at colour formatting of symbols such as the backspace arrow?

Change the icon color is built into FM

Select the desired icon, then from the inspector go to the Appearance tab, then under style change from button to button icon, then select desired color.

2. Is it possible to use 'Enable Touch Keyboard' script step to bring up the keyboard while remaining in Kiosk mode? Though it looks like the suggested solution gives more control and automation.

Enable Touch Keyboard is not related to the keyboard I created.  That is a FM script step that is only partial supported in FMPro. Enable Touch Keyboard

3. One querk of the 'soft keyboard' is that when the field automatically selects it's contents the first keystroke doesn't overwrite those contents but insert new characters. I'm not sure there's anything to be done to overcome this.

Not currently.  You would need a toggle button such as an Insert button then run the desired script based on the state of the insert button.   It is version 5  but I only created this keyboard in the last couple of months, another user had asked about a keypad and keyboard.  

• 5. Re: Kiosk Runtime: Numeric pad
                  tays01s

Icon colour: When select the backspace button containing the arrow, I'm unable to isolate the arrow. Might this be because I'm on FMA 14?

• 6. Re: Kiosk Runtime: Numeric pad
                    schamblee

No, I have tested in FMA 14

Select the desired button / icon then from the Appearance tab in the inspector, under style, there is a drop down which has "Button" displayed.  Change this setting to Button: Icon, then make changes to the icon.

• 7. Re: Kiosk Runtime: Numeric pad
                      tays01s

You are quite right; I shouldn't have skim read before trying. Thanks again.

One addition I'm making to the field script triggers is a check on a Keyboard/Tablet choice the User can make so that the 'soft keyboards/pads' are only deployed if there's no hardware keyboard. Again, I don't suppose there's a way to detect whether there's a keyboard attached?

• 8. Re: Kiosk Runtime: Numeric pad
                        schamblee

I don't know of a way to detect if the keyboard is connected.   Windows displays a keyboard icon in the start bar that you can tap to open the touch keyboard.  I would recommend a button to turn the keyboard or / off.

• 9. Re: Kiosk Runtime: Numeric pad
                          tays01s

Popovers: Do you have to insert the Keyboard/pad into these to use? Otherwise it seems that placing on the actual layout allows the popover to close before modifying the field.

• 10. Re: Kiosk Runtime: Numeric pad
                            schamblee

You will have to modify the script to be able to use the keyboard in a popover  The script uses Get(ActiveFieldContents), if you click a popover the field is not active anymore.     That is why I grouped the keyboard together and use hide object when.