3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 10:49 PM by Markus Schneider

Why I cannot import data from Excel files??

hansi1964

I try many times to import some data from my excel file table,

but every time show these feedback and nothing was imported.

very strange that I have had done before do not have these happened before. !

Can anybody help to solve this??

• 1. Re: Why I cannot import data from Excel files??
          philmodjunk

Check the validation rules on your fields and their data types. Records get skipped during import as shown in your screen shot when they violate a validation rule.

If you can't spot which field, you can try using a copy of your file and importing into just a few different fields in each test until you figure out which fields cause the records to be skipped when they are included in the import.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why I cannot import data from Excel files??
            beverly

When you do this manually (not from script) and you get to the "Import Field Mapping" dialog, do you see the "<|" & "|>" arrows near the middle, left?

When I've assisted others with import errors, I recommend to stop at this point and click the "|>" arrow a few times to see what data might be coming in before actually clicking the "Import" button (lower right). Sometimes you can see what problems you are having just from this. If Data is not appearing in particular fields or it does not allow you to map some Source and Target fields, then you have some clues.

Can you try this and possibly send screen shots?

beverly

p.s. this article may help:

Importing data into an existing FileMaker Pro file | FileMaker

• 3. Re: Why I cannot import data from Excel files??
              Markus Schneider

import the excel into a brand new FileMaker file and check the imported fields, compare them with Your existing FM database. Phil is correct: When records are skipped, it's mostly a field validation issue that can be nIled down with the method Phil mentioned

Creating a brand new file via importing just makes sure that the native method works (You didn't mention FM version etc.)