8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 4:58 PM by philmodjunk

How to: Limited related external table

deninger

I am wondering if there is a way to accomplish the following in an elegant fashion.

I have an external FM Server with a table that receives and processes external data from a third party source for many different clients. Each record contains a global client id that specifies which client it belongs to. I want to add this database as an external data source to client solutions but limit each client to just their data.

Of course I can create a relationship to this external database that constrains access to only records containing the client's key. But what if I want to use the table as a layout source? The only solution I can think of is to create a placeholder record in the local solution for each record on the external FM server that matches the client's key. But this requires regularly updating the placeholder records every time a new record is added on the external server, and I don't really consider this to be an elegant solution...

Is there an elegant way to limit the accessible records in an external FM table to just those matching some criteria?