5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 11:42 AM by sprynmd

    FMGo continuously disconnects

    sprynmd

      We are having continuous problems with FileMaker Go disconnecting from the server.

       

      Environment

      iPad Air 2

      iOS 9.3.4

      FileMakerGo 15.0.1

       

      Server

      FMS 15.0.1.137 (70 hosted databases)

      Windows server 2012R2 (all updates applied)

      Database has extended privilege of fmreauthenticate480

       

      Wireless network

      Aruba model APIN0205 (6.4.4.6-4.2.4.0_55341)

       

      Description

      After launching FMGo, I locate the server and open the file entering user name and password which is authenticated through Active Directory.

       

      I leave the iPad alone with settings to not sleep for 10min.  No other apps running.

       

      99% of the time, in about 75 seconds I get a message on the iPad: "Communications with the host was interrupted.  Do you want to try to reconnect?"

       

      I select "Yes" and the spinning cursor churns for a while then a new message is displayed: "The file "DBName" could not be opened.  Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host."

       

      If I try to reopen the DB using the "recent" list, I am asked for a password even though the extended privilege is set to "fmreauthenticate480".

       

      If I select "Hosts", FMGo seems to no longer see the server.  Initially it shows the server name, but if I click on the name it disappears and FMGo churns saying "Looking for hosts...".

       

      Setting a "Favorite" host using IP address then selecting it immediately shows the hosted databases.  I can now open the database.

       

      The symptoms end up being the same: disconnect after 75s, need to re-authenticate, and repeat.  But eventually even the favorite-by-IP server can not be seen.

       

      I set up a ping app to check the FM server and it never showed any failures over 10 minutes.

       

      Side note

      One situation we discovered last week which seemed to guarantee this scenario was an apparent bug in our Aruba wireless access points.  We had a bad DNS entry configured in Aruba that we knew about, but it was flagged as disabled.  Even though it was disabled, those bad DNS IP addresses were still being fed via DHCP to wireless devices but only to Apple products!  Mac's, iPads, iPhones were being given the disabled bad DNS values.  Windows and Android devices were given the correct settings by Aruba.  When we deleted the disabled entry from Aruba, the Apple devices started getting the correct DNS addresses.  Everything seemed to work for a week, but the symptom is now back even though we still see good DNS values in the Apple devices' network settings.

       

       

      I'm not sure where to go next.  This is perceived by IT as a FileMaker problem because no other wireless devices are having trouble.  People who are developing in-house products using Android tablets are having no trouble.

       

      Suggestions would be appreciated.

       

      ...Mike

        • 1. Re: FMGo continuously disconnects
          Johan Hedman

          I would not use AD for your login. I rather have unique user accounts for each user.

          • 2. Re: FMGo continuously disconnects
            sprynmd

            Johan:

             

            Thanks for the suggestion.  We have a requirement to use AD in our environment and have had good luck with that.  It ends up being easier to maintain than local authentication in FMP.

             

            ...Mike

            • 3. Re: FMGo continuously disconnects
              sprynmd

              We seem to have resolved the problem.  It appears to have been a network issue.

               

              It all started with a possible bug in our Aruba wireless access point software. As explained by my IT guys, in making some changes to our network, some old DNS entries in Aruba were made inactive temporarily instead of being deleted.  That worked fine with all Windows and Android devices, but for some unknown reason, Aruba gave the disabled entries to all Apple devices instead of the newer active ones.  Deleting the inactive ones helped, but didn't get rid of the traces by itself.

               

              The iOS devices and Macs seemed to cache the old IP info.  Forgetting and re-adding the network did not clear the system.  For iOS we had to power-cycle them to get them to totally clear the old DNS IP addresses.  Restarting the Mac did not do the same.  On the Mac we had to use a command line in the Terminal app to clear the DNS cache.

               

              So far, we seem to be back in business.

               

              ...Mike

              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: FMGo continuously disconnects
                Johan Hedman

                Is it not a very nice feeling to solve the problem yourself =)

                • 5. Re: FMGo continuously disconnects
                  sprynmd

                  Thanks.  Seeing now what the problem seemed to be, I can understand why nobody did have an answer for me.