marksystech

Print layout to PDF (mac/win)

Discussion created by marksystech on Aug 25, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 28, 2016 by psijmons

Hi All,

I'm close to having a PO system working for a customer.  They desire email notification to certain people that PO has been created.  What I would like to do is to print the PO using the layout I've created to a temp file then email a copy of that to each person on the notification list.

This app will run on FileMaker server and must work in both Mac/Win filemaker.  So I'm wondering about generating the PDF file. 

On a mac I can set the print options and even specify a PDF file name.  What I cannot seem to do is to specify where it should be saved and I need to know this so the email part of the script can attach the file to the outgoing emails.

Also I am wondering about Windows ability to generate PDFs.  I know Mac is built in, windows I seem to think you need to select a specific PDF writer to print to.

There is an alternative:  The FileMaker server at the client runs on a Mac.  I could setup a script to run on the filemaker server that regularly scans for submitted PO's, prints them to PDFs and then emails them to the people wanting notification.  This would remove the ambiguity from the local machines and potential differences between mac and win.

Anyway the questions are:

1) How can I print a layout to a PDF from a script and specify where to save the PDF to as part of the script so email script action can send it?

2) What will be needed to make this work on the server?  I'm thinking this is probably my safest route.

I can't use the export to PDF as that just seems to do a record set.  I need the formatted layout.

Any suggestions would be welcome!  And thank you in advance!

Outcomes