13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2016 10:11 AM by justinc

FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle

tkessler45

I have a few FileMaker solutions on a single server (version 15) that are accessed via WebDirect. However, a few days ago users have noticed regular pauses in the service, with the following spinning blue circle showing up in the middle of the browser window.

FMBlueCircle.png

It seems to happen randomly, and when it does it takes a number of minutes before it disappears. During this time there is no load on either FileMaker or the server. All processes are taking less than 5% CPU (quad core 2.5GHz virtualized Windows server), ample memory is available, with ~180GB drive space free.

I am curious exactly what this circle represents? Is it just a generic hang indication, or does it indicate the server is actively sorting records, or otherwise processing data, or is it a Web services activity indicator of sorts? This happens on layouts without any scripts running, and seems to be related to data lookups, as if FM is doing a very slow sort in the background. However, there is almost no way I can see to determine the cause of this, and therefore troubleshoot the issue.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle
          Johan Hedman

The circle indicates that you FMS is working hard to get you all data for your layout. It is the same way for FileMaker Pro.

For FileMaker WebDirect it is very important to have the right hardware. As it seems like you have good hardware and memory, next most important thing is to have a very good design on your layout. That will make your layout have a lot better performance. You need to save all your different things into your Default Theme and have as few Conditional Formatting and Script Triggers as possible. If you have plenty of portals in your layout, you should consider if you need to show them all on your standard view or if you can hide some in Tabs.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle
            beverly

I'd say yes, to what you are saying, Johan. But my client got new hardware & software and followed recommendations! We get into the db (via WD), but with IE11 (recommended) before two minutes is up, it gives them the 'blue circle'. I've not seen this as I remote in with Safari or FireFox on Mac. Everything is perfect with FMPro and FMGo and anything by Windows browser.

see this thread:

FMS15 slow/disconnects too quickly for Web Direct users

beverly

• 3. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle
              Johan Hedman

Are there any Triggers or OnTimer Scripts that runs on some specific layout?

• 4. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle
                tkessler45

Thanks, but in my case the layout is very basic. Its essentially a menu that has a single global field for a user id in a "Menu" table bound to the id in a related "users" table. The layout then has a hidden related field for the user name from the "users" table, along with some buttons that simply load other layouts when clicked. The conditional calculations are just to set the hidden status of the related field and buttons. With this, at first the layout just shows the userid field, and then when an ID is entered it presents the user's name (originally hidden, but now showing since the userid field has data in it), and shows the hidden buttons.

Thats it; there are two tables involved, and some very basic calculations to show or hide objects. There are only a few such objects, and when the hangs happen there are only a few users connected (1-3 WebDirect, about 2-3 FMGo, and 1 FMPro). There are no triggers or scripts set for this layout, but yet it hangs for minutes at times, and sometimes seemingly indefinitely until the browser is quit or refreshed.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle
                  TSPigeon

tkessler45:

It looks like we are seeing a few cases of this Blue Spinning Wheel with browsers on Windows. (Thank you beverly for sending me the most recent ones)

Does this issue occur in the FMServer_Sample file?

What Operating Systems and Browsers are you experiencing this issue in?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle
                    tkessler45

This is happening on client systems running Safari and Chrome, on OS X 10.10.x and OS X 10.11.x. The server is running on Windows 2012 Server R2. The spinning sometimes starts a number of minutes after the layout data has loaded. For instance, I have a layout with a single portal to a related table, and it loaded in a few seconds. I've interacted with a couple of records (selecting them and copying data), and then let the view just sit. After a few minutes the spinning wheel started, and has not stopped for a few minutes now (my guess is its stuck there).

• 7. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle
                      tkessler45

TSPigeon, I have WebDirect sessions set to expire after 10 minutes of inactivity (auto logout), and when it does so, the spinning circle remains. This suggests a problem with the Web service? I've tried toggling the Web Publishing Engine off and back on, with no effect. The issue does not happen on FileMaker Server Console connections (at odd times the circle will show for a brief second, but never hangs).

Barring a full reset of the server which I've not yet done, is there anything I can do to troubleshoot or fix this issue?

• 8. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle
                        TSPigeon

tkessler45:

At this time I can't say. A full uninstall, rename or removal of the server folder, reboot and reinstall would be good to see if it's an installation issue.

-Does the issue occur when accessing the database on the Server Environment itself?

-Would it be possible to see if this issue occurs when accessing the FMServer_Sample file or a New Starter Solution?

-You mentioned it is a virtualized environment.

-Is it using NAT Addressing? (Can you test with other options?)

-Is this also happening in the Windows Operating System?

-Are any Energy Saver Settings enabled on the client machines? (disable to test?)

-Are the clients using Domain Users? (Does the issue occur with local users?)

I look forward to your response!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle
                          DavidCushworth

I have FMS15 installed on a mac mini running OS Sierra.

I can access the Server using FM Pro and FM Go no problem.

Using Safari  I get the blue spinning circle

When I  use Chrome there is no problem, I can access the databases OK.

When I use the localhost login then no problem.

So, the issue comes down to Safari not letting me gain access when using the IP address.

• 10. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle
                            justinc

I'm experiencing essentially the same issue:  Web Direct appears to be kicking out a logged in user long before the time limit set.

The server is FMS 15.01 running on Windows; single machine deployment.

Client is Safari on OS X 10.11.6

The Safari client will get the spinning circle of death if idle for just over 5 minutes.  Auto-logout timer is set to 30 minutes.

The symptom is a blue spinning circle in the middle of the web page.  This is never-ending - I have let it idle there for 30+ minutes with no changes.  I have to reload the web page for anything to happen, which takes me back to the login screen.  The Admin Console on the server still shows the WD client logged into the system at this point, after the browser client itself is locked up.  The server logs do not show any 'disconnect' events for this browser client, either.

Curiously, in contrast to Beverly's other thread and issue, a Windows system using Chrome does not appear to have any disconnection issues, even at 15+ minutes.

• 11. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle
                              justinc

Just tested my OS X machine on the FM_Sample database hosted on that same server - same results:  after 6+ minutes of the Safari client sitting idle while connected to the FM_Sample database via Web Direct leads to a spinning blue circle as soon as you try and do anything.

I also just tested Firefox on the FM_Sample DB via Web Direct, and it too locked up after 6+ minutes of idleness.

I don't have any AV/malware software running (that's what Beverly found as a fix for her issues).

• 12. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle
                                DavidCushworth

It is an issue with Safari and Java.   For some reason Safari has a problem with the javascript.    I have submitted the error before and I believe it has been referred to the Safari Tech people.

It works OK in Chrome though.   So until Apple fixes Safari you are going to have to use another browser.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle
                                  justinc

David,

That does appear to be the case!  I ran our solution using Chrome and I had no troubles staying logged in until the FileMaker Server defined setting for Web Direct timeout.  Thanks for providing that solution!

-- J