AnsweredAssumed Answered

FileMaker 15 WebDirect pausing with blue spinning circle

Question asked by tkessler45 on Aug 24, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 15, 2016 by justinc

I have a few FileMaker solutions on a single server (version 15) that are accessed via WebDirect. However, a few days ago users have noticed regular pauses in the service, with the following spinning blue circle showing up in the middle of the browser window.

FMBlueCircle.png

It seems to happen randomly, and when it does it takes a number of minutes before it disappears. During this time there is no load on either FileMaker or the server. All processes are taking less than 5% CPU (quad core 2.5GHz virtualized Windows server), ample memory is available, with ~180GB drive space free.

I am curious exactly what this circle represents? Is it just a generic hang indication, or does it indicate the server is actively sorting records, or otherwise processing data, or is it a Web services activity indicator of sorts? This happens on layouts without any scripts running, and seems to be related to data lookups, as if FM is doing a very slow sort in the background. However, there is almost no way I can see to determine the cause of this, and therefore troubleshoot the issue.

Outcomes