Dobieg5750

FMP-Advanced & Excel

Discussion created by Dobieg5750 on Aug 25, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 26, 2016 by alangodfrey

So have been experimenting and researching the best way to link data from FMP to Excel...want to dump selected records into a spreadsheet prefer to dump table 1 into one tab, then table 2 into another but from what I understand you can only dump into a workbook once...i.e. one tab and it only creates a new workbook...again, from what I've read.

So instead I began researching linking the FM Database to a spreadsheet...heck, in my Excel for Mac even see a link to import from Filemaker...so started to get excited. Of course when I try to import, Excel pops up and says I need FMP installed to do this. Well I have FMP 15 Advanced...but it just won't work.

The goal is this...I need to create exhibits that manipulates a lot of data...and comparing a number of records against a target record (relation to average, rank amongst record set, etc) that is really easy to do in excel but seems terribly hard to do in the reports in FM. So I figured I'd dump the data I needed into pre-designed excel workbooks (like I used to do in Access) and the fields can populate themselves with the raw data I've dumped into hidden sheets.

Any help or point in the right direction (linking FMP-A & Excel or better ways to dump into excel WITHOUT deleting existing spreadsheet data or just confidence that I can do some of this IN FM) would be great.

(& sorry if anything is unclear).

SG

Outcomes