AnsweredAssumed Answered

Better way to choose a value in portal row

Question asked by Imhest on Aug 25, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 26, 2016 by Imhest

Hi there, my name is Lucas, I'm developing a Filemaker database to help in the office and I hope you can give me some advice on what to do about this.

I have a portal in which i add inventory items to planes, it works great. Some items have a certain Serial Number that is unique from one another, and the user has to choose which one corresponds to the item used in the plane.

ss (2016-08-25 at 07.50.04).png

Thats the portal. The "13" in that last field would the the serial number (it's just a number that I added to try), it is a pop-up menu associated with a conditional value list.

The thing that bothers me is that for the user to choose, he has to pick from this pop-up menu. It would be fine for a while but in the future there would be too many values and it will become bothersome, like in this:

ss (2016-08-25 at 07.50.40).png

Is there a way to, maybe, show a popup window with a list view and choose the desired number? I searched about using a popover with another portal inside but it seemed way too complicated for my limited programming knowledge, and the portal didn't seem to like it. Preferably, I would like to be able to order the numbers from newer to older too.

If someone has any ideas or a good tutorial at hand it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help!

Outcomes