3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 5:49 AM by quarku

OnObjectKeystroke performance problem - it puts some strange marks in the field

quarku

Hello everybody,

I have strage problem which is pretty understandable for me - computer do not follow if I'm clicking too fast on my keyboard arrows.

You will find my script in attachment.

Answering to future questions:

1. 1. I can make it simple - like go to next row - exit after last etc. - because it creates new row automatically....
      2. 2. Also I can't "go to next field" because it’s a very complicate portal with fields visibility connected from the clients table field contains daily deliveries qty. (A lot of field there and when I have tried to use simple go to next filed with proper tab order set up - it goes to total_sum field which is tick out for browse mode ...

That’s why I had to create more complicated script.

It works perfectly when I’m pressing keyboard with "user regular" speed but when I start to go down faster for example it inputs "(((((((" this marks before the number within the filed.

Marks which filemaker is putting are different and depends on which keyboard key are you pressing to fast: % %%  or ''' (((( or &&&&&&

It looks like filemaker automatically press "Shift"+something on the keyboard.

I know that I can create the onObjectExit script which will replace those marks for nothing. But it is annoying and it can later on make a lot of questions from customers....

Do anybody have some kind of solution or solve this problem in theirs projects?

• 1. Re: OnObjectKeystroke performance problem - it puts some strange marks in the field
          TSPigeon

quarku:

Thank you for your post!

It seems that you have an input of "% %%"  or "((((" or "&&&&&&" in a field when using a keystroke trigger based off of Arrow Keys (up, down, left, and right). From what I can see in your script, there shouldn't be any characters added to the fields if you are just hitting the Arrow keys. If you could provide a little more information:

-Do you have any OnObjectEnter Triggers (or any other triggers) on the fields which are receiving the character entry?

I am also going to move this thread from the FileMaker Community Feedback Space, which is specifically for input on the Community itself, to the Discussions Space where you should receive even more views and potentially more advice!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: OnObjectKeystroke performance problem - it puts some strange marks in the field
            David Moyer

Hi,

There is nothing in your script that creates any output.  So, as suggested, there may be other scripts/triggers involved.

(However, this does look suspiciously like when my cat walks on the keyboard.)

You can speed up performance this way:

Set a variable $keyCode = Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) )

if patterncount("28 29 30 31"; $keyCode) > 0

... evaluate $keyCode

else

... skip all that logic

(p.s. it also looks suspiciously like the behavior of a wireless keyboard with a poor blue-tooth connection.)

• 3. Re: OnObjectKeystroke performance problem - it puts some strange marks in the field
              quarku

Hello TSPigeon,

Thank you for your reply. Here is my on object enter script - just for remove 0.

Thank you for moving me to other section.

Hello David,

Its a kable keyboard - and the problem appears when I'm pressing keys very fast - like PC do not have the power to go ahead with script.

I will check how it works with your suggestion with varaible.

Good day everybody.