5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2016 11:21 AM by BeatriceBeaubien

A Swift Integration with Filemaker !!

rouelf

Has anyone picked up on the following:

“ …. This is where a startup called PerfectlySoft comes in. Today, PerfectlySoft announces that their flagship product Perfect, which allows Swift to run on servers as well as it does on the iPhone, gets a free FileMaker integration. ……

….. Which is to say, by using the Perfect integration, a developer can take their databases from FileMaker, use Swift to build an application around it, and then keep using Swift to build the server stuff, too. You only have to be an expert in the one thing.

And as FileMaker developers increasingly take their existing web apps and bring them to the iPhone, in line with modern trends, it gives them the option to use Swift, which is definitely looking like the wave of the future in programming of all kinds. …….

….. This is where a startup called PerfectlySoft comes in. Today, PerfectlySoft announces that their flagship product Perfect, which allows Swift to run on servers as well as it does on the iPhone, gets a free FileMaker integration. …. “

This startup is bringing Apple's newest programming world together with one of its oldest (AAPL)

http://news360.com/article/366545826

• 1. Re: A Swift Integration with Filemaker !!
          codecruncher

The swiftly created PR release makes it feel like someone is trying to pull a fast one.

• 2. Re: A Swift Integration with Filemaker !!
            wimdecorte

I've seen it but can't really figure out what it brings to the table... very vague both in that article and on their website.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: A Swift Integration with Filemaker !!
              beverly

There are still two ways to share/extract data directly from FMServer for CWP (custom web publishing) and that is what this is about.

1. XML (several different grammars)

2. xDBC/SQL (ODBC & JDBC)

NOTE: yes, to some extent with fmp: protocol/URL, we can access - but this requires FM client to process.

And we have WebDirect, which is web published, but not CWP.

any application that can handle either XML or xDBC is viable.

I don't know anything about this announcement. I would guess you still need to learn a lot to use it.

beverly

• 4. Re: A Swift Integration with Filemaker !!
                TonyWhite

As far as I can tell, the core idea is to bring Swift to the back end of client-server applications so that, for example, you would have both swift on the client side and swift on the server side, perhaps similar to node.js bringing JavaScript to the backend.

Being able to use the same language on both the front and back end has advantages...similar to one of the many advantages of the FileMaker platform.

There is an interesting transcript here...with lots of FileMaker (and Lasso) history (although there are some spelling mistakes).

140 iPS The Perfect Framework with Sean Stephens and Kyle Jessup
                https://devchat.tv/iphreaks/140-ips-the-perfect-framework-with-sean-stephens-and-kyle-jessup

[begin excerpt]
                SEAN: [Laughs] Exactly. I was actually sitting at a bar where Kyle and I we’re talking and he said, “I’ve got a great idea. Why don’t we take all of the intelligence of what we’ve done with the Lasso Project and bring that over into the swift world and use all of the many years of the history of Lasso in this new project? That, that we’d be able to use Swift both on the front and the back for mobile development.”
                [end excerpt]

Tony White
                http://FileMaker-Fanatics.com

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: A Swift Integration with Filemaker !!
                  BeatriceBeaubien

Hi rouelf,

I haven't much to add, except to say Sean Stephens visited our Toronto FileMaker user group four years ago to deliver a high energy Lasso boosterism presentation (he's the CEO of LassoSoft, as well as PerfectlySoft, and one other company in Newmarket, Ontario).

The whole (unedited and painful to read) transcript at http://aiw.co.kr/portfolio/stereoscopic-for-exhibition was tl:dr, but FileMaker didn't seem to have much prominence.

I'll be interested in seeing some real applications, preferably iOS+Android, as verbiage doesn't take the place of credible implementations. Also, so much thought has gone into FMS and mobile, that frankly I'm not sure how they can begin to match the calibre of work of Jon's team.

Beatrice