11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2016 4:52 PM by planteg

Filemaker Server 15 Simulataneous Connections

goldencode

Hi everyone,

I have installed Filemaker Server 15 on virtual server,

From Admin Console

--> Database Server

It says "Your FileMaker Server license does not restrict the number of simultaneous FileMaker Pro client connections."

Here is screenshot:

FMDS.jpg

--> Web Publishing

It says "Your FileMaker Server license does not restrict the number of simultaneous Custom Web Publishing connections."

Here is a screenshot:

FMWP.jpg

The Questions

First, what is actually the difference between the limit to the database server and the limit to the custom web publishing connections? And is Filemaker WebDirect considered as custom web publishing or it does only mean PHP and XML?

Second, what about the following limits?

Capacities

The table below lists the tested and theoretical maximum simultaneous connection limits for FileMaker Server 15. Tested maximums reflect the test configuration and do not represent a guarantee of performance.

FileMaker Server 15
      ClientTestedMaximum allowed
      FileMaker Pro250Unrestricted*
      FileMaker Pro (for User Connections)100100
      FileMaker Go100100
      FileMaker WebDirect100100
      Custom Web Publishing (CWP)**2002000
      ODBC/JDBC50Unrestricted*

*Connections are limited only by hardware, app design, and operating system.

**Multiple users can share a single CWP connection. CWP connections are based on simultaneous request events, rather than persistent connections.

Limits source: FileMaker Server 15 Technical Specifications | FileMaker

Thanks a lot for your time.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server 15 & WebDirect simulataneous connections
          philipHPG

The difference represents different types of connections.

The first is the number of clients that can be connected through FileMaker Pro (or Pro Advanced) client.

The second is the number of clients that can be connected through the web interface with a custom-designed application (in PHP). This is different from WebDirect. Look at the FileMaker WebDirect tab to see your connection limits for WebDirect.

The limits in the table are what the system is tested as being capable of handling. YMMV

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server 15 & WebDirect simulataneous connections
            goldencode

So in the first screenshot, it means if i make a remote connection using Filemaker Pro from any computer then there are no limits, and if i connect using WebDirect Host Address from any computer then the limit will be 100 maximum?

The CWP does only mean PHP and XML?

If what i'm saying correct, then what is the purpose of the 100 limit to WebDirect? Anyway to increase that?

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server 15 & WebDirect simulataneous connections
              philipHPG

No, the first screenshot is saying that your FileMaker license does not limit how many simultaneous FileMaker Pro connections can be made, however directly underneath that there is a box where you can configure the connection limit for your system. It shows that it is currently set at 250.

Again, with Custom Web Publishing your license does not limit how many simultaneous CWP connections can be made, however directly underneath that there is a box where you can configure the connection limit for your system. It shows that it is currently set at 200.

As I said earlier, you need to look at the FileMaker WebDirect tab to see what the connection limitations are for WebDirect connections (likely 1, unless you have purchased additional connections).

The table from FileMaker indicates what the FileMaker Server is capable of handling in ideal conditions. However, depending on what license you have, there may be additional restrictions. There is a difference between what the system is capable of handling and what you are licensed to do with it.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server 15 & WebDirect simulataneous connections
                philipHPG

If you need more than 100 simultaneous to WebDirect, you might want to consider going the Custom Web Publishing (PHP/XML) route. There is a lot of work for the FileMaker Server in a WebDirect situation (the Server is dynamically generating the HTML, CSS, Javascript), and FileMaker is indicating that you might not receive the performance you would like if you try to maintain over 100 simultaneous connections to WebDirect.

(Keep in mind that all of this is "simultaneous" connections - so 100 people connected and working in the database at the same time.)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Filemaker Server 15 Simulataneous Connections
                  goldencode

Yes we are talking about simultaneous connections that can be established from Filemaker Pro users from any computer to Filemaker Server, and how would you do that? isn't it using File>Open Remote from Filemaker Pro? This is what i meant!

Only 1 user connection for WebDirect for testing purposes? That's tough!

FileMaker Store: FileMaker Licensing for Teams

In this screenshot it doesn't say that but yea you are right it is mentioned in the link above.

FMWD.jpg

Conclusion:

- 1 user connection allowed for WebDirect, to get more users then you can purchase from Filemaker Store, and the limit is 100. You can contact support when you want 100+.

- Simultaneous connections from Filemaker Pro users to Filemaker Server can be established with no additional cost, the limit depends on what hardware can handle and the limit specified in the server admin console.

For this topic to be a clear explanation for anyone then lets complete it with the following:

We are missing Filemaker Pro Solution Sharing in the topic, you can share the solution with up to 5 simultaneous connections, and if you need more than 5, then you have to consider Filemaker Server.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation and your time.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Server 15 Simulataneous Connections
                    philipHPG

Sorry, the correct place to look for the number of connections allowed by your license for WebDirect (and FM Go) is shown under General Settings -> Connections.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Server 15 Simulataneous Connections
                      goldencode

26 connections?!!!

FMWDC.jpg

• 8. Re: Filemaker Server 15 Simulataneous Connections
                        wimdecorte

goldencode wrote:

26 connections?!!!

Why is that surprising; that's what you bought... shouldn't be surprise, right?

The other place you can check your license is in the admin console

General Settings > Server info tab > button at the right lower corner "change license key"

If you have any restrictions based on your license they are all listed there.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Filemaker Server 15 Simulataneous Connections
                          goldencode

Surprised because i'm using the trial version, and i have been told above that i will get only one user connection,

So i guess if i purchase Filemaker Server 15 i will get only one user connection and i will have to pay for the rest, but the trial version provides 26

• 10. Re: Filemaker Server 15 Simulataneous Connections
                            goldencode

Do i have to choose one correct answer? I feel like most of the replies are beneficial!

• 11. Re: Filemaker Server 15 Simulataneous Connections
                              planteg

I have a side question.

Is the trial FMS 15 version an FLT server ?

Thanks