pauhana658

Read/write data from one remote (FMS-hosted) database to another?

Discussion created by pauhana658 on Aug 27, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 by pauhana658

I have developed a vocabulary test  that contains the vocabulary and various forms of the test. Teachers can create a test and give their students the test number. Students take the test. Their results are stored and made available to both the teachers and vocab researchers. The test is hosted on FM Server.

That's the sticky wicket. Everything is in a single database in multiple tables, so students, teachers, and researchers all log in from a single login page. To simplify logins and prevent students from trying to log in as a teacher or researcher, I'd like to separate the actual test from all the other bits and pieces. In other words, Students are given a url, they go to the url and enter their student number and the test number. The testing database remotely accesses the Teacher and Researcher database, searches for the test associated with the test number, and sends the relevant data to the testing database. Students then take the test. When they are done, the test results are sent back to the teacher and researcher database. Teachers and researchers can then go to a different url to log in and access the stored student and test data.

Naturally, the students should not have access to the teacher and researcher database while taking the test, and that file shouldn't even open and be visible to them. I just want to pass data back and forth.

I'm pretty certain this can be done, but I have little experience in FileMaker and don't even know where to start. For example, what script steps or functions should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Outcomes