3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2016 8:05 PM by philmodjunk

FM 15 sub summary print problem

synergy46

I have a membership application.  It tracks 'members' and 'visitors'

MeetRelationships.png

My input 'portal' looks like this  and it works well.

MeetPortal.png

But, as many have previously pointed out, using a portal when printing is problematic. 

I thought I would produce a sub-summary report grouping by visitors and members.

(instead of using a portal)

I need the ability to produce a printed report for a specified meeting date grouping by Members and Visitors.

PROBLEM:

I can base my SSummary report on MemberMeetingJoin and get all the Members.  Or, I can base

my SSummary report on VisitorMeetingJoin and get all Visitors but if I base the report on Meetings I

get just the first member/visitor for each date.  (makes sense)

I thought I could create a 'temporary' table holding the Members and Visitors but when I wrote the import

script it complained that "Import can not import onto itself". 

I realize part of the problem is the DESIGN of my tables (this app was a learning experience that I started about

3 years ago) and that I needed 'identifier' fields (member or visitor) in a single table; but it is too late to

change the structure.

Have you any ideas? 

Thanks

• 1. Re: FM 15 sub summary print problem
          philmodjunk

That particular error message only happens if you select two table occurrences that have the same exact data source table.

But you might also consider whether you really need one table as the join for members and a different one for visitors. Using the same data source table for both would allow you to generate your report without needing a temporary report table.

Note: a "data source table" is what you create on the tables tab inside Manage | Database. A Table Occurrence is what we call any of the "boxes" used to link tables in relationships on the relationships tab. You can have any number of table occurrences that all refer to the same data source table.

• 2. Re: FM 15 sub summary print problem
            synergy46

Yes, I know I "Should" have created a single table data source; but the structure was created about 3 years ago and I don't think I can change it and keep user data in tact.

My import idea was to be a way to combine the two tables (Members and Visitors) into a single table.  But, it looks like that idea is a non starter.

As for the error message, it was generated when I tried to import the existing MEMBERSMeetingJOIN 'data source table' into a new 'MembersVisitors' table.  My intention was to import both MembersMeetingJoin and VisitorMeetingJoin into MembersVisitors.  Any reason why this doesn't work?

Thanks for the reply.

• 3. Re: FM 15 sub summary print problem
              philmodjunk
              My import idea was to be a way to combine the two tables (Members and Visitors) into a single table.  But, it looks like that idea is a non starter.

Don't seem like that would be a non-starter at all. You'd just need a field that distinguishes which record is for a member and which a visitor.

As for the error message, it was generated when I tried to import the existing MEMBERSMeetingJOIN 'data source table' into a new 'MembersVisitors' table.

That would not produce this particular error message and it should have worked. How did you create that "new" table? I am wondering if you simply created a new table occurrence of the existing join table.

My intention was to import both MembersMeetingJoin and VisitorMeetingJoin into MembersVisitors.  Any reason why this doesn't work?

Not only should that work, but this can become a table that you use in place of the two original join tables so that you don't have to make repeated use of Import Records just for reporting purposes.