2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 4:52 AM by realgecko

Substitute and list functions for related field values returns error

realgecko

Dear all,

I am working on a database of Mexican medicinal plants for my PhD thesis.

Being new to filemaker I am encountering some issues and would greatly appreciate any sort of advice.

Of particular concern right now is the following:

I set up relationships between three tables as can be seen from the screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 5.04.07 PM.png

In the table plants I would like to display a consolidated list of the values for the field Spanish_name_superscript_study_code for each "species" in the table combined_data.

The field Spanish_name_superscript_study_code itself is a calculation with the following function:

If ( not IsEmpty ( Spanish vernacular name ) ; Spanish vernacular name & TextStyleAdd ( Study code ; Superscript ))

In the table plants I am using the following function:

Substitute ( List ( combined_data::Spanish_name_superscript_study_code ) ; Char ( 13 ) ; TextStyleAdd ( ", " ; Plain ) )

This approach worked perfectly for listing the values of another field, yet in the case of Spanish_name_superscript_study_code it returns strange results like "1.3119e+10". When I select a field, I can see that the correct values are there yet for some reason they are not properly displayed.

Any ideas?

The following 2 screenshots are from the plants and the combined_data tables

Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 12.52.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 12.54.32 PM.png